My pet crickets

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by YogiMama, Jun 14, 2010.

1. YogiMama

YogiMama Embryo

I have some crickets that were originally meant to use to feed my bearded dragon, till he passed away. I may or may not buy another lizard. But I still want to care for the crickets. I don't want to purposely neglect them so they die. If they multiply I have plenty of housing space for them. I kinda like the crickets. I think they are cute and interesting. I notice when I put a thermometer in the cage, they were so curious they almost immediately checked it out. Well so now I added some toys and fake plants to climb on. They seem pretty quick to figure things out. Although the sides are too slick to climb on, I had a part where it had old super glue. In no time they had used the fake plants to climb up to the glue part and now they like to chill on the side of the tank. I can't believe I am getting attached to yucky bugs!

Anyway I wanted to know If I am doing this right. For water I am just using my reptile mister to spray water inside the tank onto a piece of paper towel or onto the walls or fake plants for them to sap up. It goes dry very quick, so I do this twice a day. The temp is about 75-80 degrees. If it gets too cold out I will put them up next to my crabitat lamp. I have a thing full of coconut fiber substrate, instead of dirt, for them to lay eggs. Will that be okay? I feed them various different foods from fruits to veggies to cat food and other kinds of food. Will this keep them alive?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. LittleLouie

LittleLouie Well-Known Member

Crickets are relatively hardy. By making sure they have plenty of ventilation, a clean dry tank, and a clean water source, you will cut down on diseases. Keep the eco-earth damp, and they will use it for egg laying. You may end up with more crickets than you know what to do with! The food should be just fine for them.

I like crickets too. Their chirping does not bother me or keep me awake at night, even though I have them all in my bedroom. I actually enjoy listening to their cheerful chirps. I think I prefer them over all the other feeder insects I have/am attempting raising.