My Pet Diamond

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by diamondsmom, Oct 6, 2005.

1. diamondsmom

diamondsmom Embryo

I noticed so many people giving such strict and sometimes expensive specifications for turtle care I've had my turtle now for like 13 yrs. We never fed it veggies and for meat he ate shrimp and raw hamburger. He also eats pellets every day sometimes more often. He has never gotten ill and his tank is only 20 gallons. He swims like crazy in it but when we move him to the tub for a bigger play area he justs sits there lol. Our filter is a cheap one and is just as old as him and preforms perfectly. His aquarium is all under water but does rise up to a more shallow area. We of course condition and treat his water. I would under no circumstances say I take poor care of him and I expect him to live several more yrs. So why all the high maintenance?

P.S.He has a floating thermometer in his aquarium that he likes to bonk with his nose and push around....lol Its really cute!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

First of all, I wouldn't consider providing appropriate space for a turtle to live in as "high maintenance". 20 gallons in waaay too small for most adult aquatic turtles. You didn't say what kind your was, a red eared slider, I assume. If that's the case, a properly cared for adult RES male would be about 6-8 inches in carapace length and a female possibly up to 10-12 inches (closer to 10 in most cases). I'm sorry, but I just could not keep an animal in a cage that was barely twice it's length. That would be like making a 3yr old human live in a play pen. Proper diet, lighting, heating, and caging is not high maintenance...it's proper husbandry. You can do what you like, but don't suggest that people keep their animals in substandard enclosures just because you have been lucky enough not to have any problems. Our recommendations are based on years of experience and study. We do not idly give advice based on what animals need "just to get by". We only suggest what they need to thrive. If someone cannot afford expensive brands, setups, etc, i can assure you we would do all that we could to ensure that they found a suitable alternative. Things that are highly recommended are so because they are proven to work properly. If those items happen to be expensive, then they are, that's all I can say. my suggestions for equipment and housing aren't based on the price to initially purchase them, they are based on ease of use, reliability, and how suited to turtles the equipment is. Most of us take the approach of pay more now and you don't have to replace it later.
    Just because some people take the time to research and provide a natural diet and proper housing doesn't mean what we do is "high maintenance". Frankly, the enclosure you just described is poorly designed. The diet is frightfully high in protein. And instead of attacking those of us who make the attempt to provide properly for our turtles, you should be asking yourself "Maybe I'm the one doing something wrong".

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Orchid021

Orchid021 New Member

I would echo the sentiment that you have been very lucky that your turtle has not gotten sick. Most of us here are trying our best to take care of our pets. That does not necessarily mean we are 'high maintenance'. My pets are like members of my family. I want to give them the best care that I can. My RES does not have an expensive tank, but it does give him tons of room. All it is is a cheap Rubbermaid container. It only cost me 15 dollars. I am sad to think that your turtle is in such a small container. If he is 13 years old, I can't beleive he has enough room. My suggestion to you would be to stop thinking everyone here is high maintenance and maybe consider some of the things that people are saying.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. diamondsmom

diamondsmom Embryo

I have but so many of you are also saying how turtles are injured or how short that their lives are......My tutle is healthy and he does get time out of his aqarium. I'm not attacking you. I'm just saying yes that yes what you've described is ideal but not totally nessecary. We raised other pets and all have has long healthy lives. Second his tank is not only twice his length rather like 5 times his length. it's a shallow long 20 gallon. He is a red eared slider. Third He's 13+ ONLY 6yrs younger then myself. He has not been simply "Getting by" as you would say. You couldn't get "by" for 13 yrs. I don't consider his health "lucky" I scrub his shell with a soft toobrush every time I change his water. His water is changed every 2 weeks, His water is treated, he gets time to swim in the tub. He is fed daily pellets. And fed meat monthly. I would hardly say I take poor care of him. I can't understand how some of yours turtles become ill with conditions caused normally by ill maintenance.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. diamondsmom

diamondsmom Embryo

Diamond

[​IMG]

Here is Diamond in his tank. The tank is filtered by a filter desgned for a 90 gallon tank. Even though he is 7'' he still has room to swim.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. biochic

Most of the people that come here with problems aren't people that are doing things by the book, so to speak. They have problems and we give advice. Those of us that are doing things properly aren't having the problems. People come here to ask questions and get help...they're the ones with the "ill" turtles. Those of us that are "high maintenance" have very healthy turtles, thank you.
    Second, animals can definitely "get by" for 13 yrs. Just because an animal is surviving doesn't mean it's thriving. There is a distinct difference. A shallow 20 gallon is not enough swimming space for a turtle that old. And what's wrong with providing the ideal enclosure? Would you live in a slum if you could afford to live in nice house? No, you wouldn't. Would you force your children to live in one room of the house and let them out to play once every two weeks in a fenced in dog run? I would hope not. That's essentially what you are saying. Why should I pay attention to every detail of his environment, when I can just let him slide by in a less than ideal environment?
    I'm not saying you are taking poor care of him, I'm saying you're not doing all you could be doing for him.
    And I wouldn't brag about that diet. It's wrong. It's as wrong as a turtle diet could possibly be. Yes it will keep him alive, but it's not providing him with everything he needs nutritionally and the high protein levels are damaging his kidneys, I can promise you that.
    Please don't think I'm just shooting off at the mouth about this. Animal care and husbandry is my job. I have worked with reptiles for over a decade specifically and have learned from some of the greatest keepers and veterinarians around. This is what I do, at home and in the lab. I don't recommend things just because they're expensive or trendy and I don't mince words when it comes to animal's diets. I've read the research from both lab work and field work. The diet you have your turtle on is unhealthy, I don't care how old he is or how long he's been fed like that.
    Also, he has no place to get out of the water and bask. RES bask for a large part of the day in sunlight and not doing so can cause damage to the shell sometimes. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he has no UV light available to him either. That can lead to calcium deficiencies and bone deformities/weakness.
    Understand, we all come here to learn from one another's experiences and to find ways to improve our animal's health and happiness. We don't look for shortcuts and we don't offer them. The reason so many reptiles are abandoned and die each year is from ignorance and stubbornness. If all you have to offer to people here is the attitude of "this is how I do it...he's not dead yet...so that's all I'm going to do for him" then I can gaurantee you that your time would be better spent somewhere else. You basically appear as though you only came here to "brag" that your turtle is alive in substandard conditions. You haven't showed any interest in why we recommend such "high maintenance" setups. If you would like to discuss why I or anyone suggest specific things in more detail, then I'd be happy to let this continue. But if this is going to be us explaining why we do things a certain way and you continually saying "well that's not the way I do it....whatever" then we'll just end this here.

12. diamondsmom

diamondsmom Embryo

He has uv light. And Like I said I take him out to the tub to swim and out in a pen I have for light to keep his shell healthy. My orignal intentions were to simply tell other ppl that if you have the time to take them out and watch them that they can still grow healthy. But I do belive now that many of you simply wont accept something that is not written down may be just as well. I have learned from experience with many diffferent animals that somethings by the book can be handled in other ways. He gets plenty of light and excerise. I was in no sense bragging and as I had said b4 I just found out that they should have veggies. I tend to include veggies in his new diet. I can't afford a new tank nor am I worried about replacing it since he spends time out of his tank. There are always other ways of caring for you pets that work just as fine. As long as you apply yourself.

13. Orchid021

Orchid021 New Member

Well said biochic.

If I were you, I would listen. She gives great advice as do most of the people on this site. I would highly recommend you go back through the old posts and look at the care that is recommended. The people that are here are just trying to do their best for their pets. There are improvements in your turtle's set up and diet that could easily be made with little or no cost to you. You can buy a turtle dock at Petsmart for under 10 dollars. Also you could start feeding your turtle some veggies. You probably have some in your fridge and if you have to buy them, they cost less than hamburger does, so you would be saving some money. You can also get a UVB bulb for about 10 dollars and they last a very long time. For 20 dollars you can make a huge difference in the care and long term health of your pet.

There are so many great people here who have great advice and would love to help you out! Just keep your mind open.

14. diamondsmom

diamondsmom Embryo

And my attitude is in no way W/E. I find that more then insulting. I apply myself fully to my pets. And I have been rewarded with long friendships. I never said what you were doing and saying was wrong. I was simply trying to introduce alternatives. Like I siad b4 if you have the time they can be taken out of their tanks and get the same outcome.

15. diamondsmom

diamondsmom Embryo

Why even post if you dont read my posts. >< You all have said something in your posts where you skipped over what I've said. He has a uv light. He comes out daily. I do have my mind open thats why i am now going to introduce VEGGIES into his diet. My first concern is for his health. HIs tank IS only 20 gallons BUT he is not in it all day!!!!!!!

16. diamondsmom

diamondsmom Embryo

Oh and in that picture if that is why you said he doesn't have a light your wrong. A camera flash cancels out the light. READ my post COMPLETELY please then make your statements. I would be more then happy to learn new things. I wouldn't be here if I hadn't wanted too.

17. biochic

You never said you were changing his diet in any way. You said he's never had veggies, you didn't say you were going to add them. And most of us don't do thing "by the book", we do things that work and work for others. There are always alternatives, but the type of diet and housing you are suggesting are not alternatives that anyone with any true experiences raising, breeding, or keeping in general would adopt. As for the new tank, as orchid already suggested, Rubbermaids can work just as well and aren't expensive at all.
    Like I said, if this is going to be a "i'm doing it my way...don't care what you say" discussion, then I'm not wasting anymore time with this thread. Do what you want, but do not come in here recommending to others that they keep their animals in conditions that are so incredibly wrong (but at the same time easily fixed when one's attitude is "what can I do to improve my animals living conditions") and stubbornly disregard the advice of others that want to help. And yes, you are bragging. The very idea of coming here to just say "this is what I do and to heck with what anyone says about it"...is bragging. And the definition of "applying" oneself to a task indicates an actual attempt at improving a situation, not finding shortcuts and excuses as to why you won't take other's advice seriously. The fact that you think properly feeding and housing your turtle is "high maintenance" sheds a lot of light on just how much you apply yourself to caring for him.

18. diamondsmom

diamondsmom Embryo

Ok here's what I'm saying If he is taken out for hours a day right? he swims in a very big tub and get plenty of light in his pen. His AQUARIUM also has a light, always has. If when I'm up he in a bigger enviroment then whats different from a bigger tank. In fact taking him out during the day keeps his tank cleaner. I took the advice for feeding him veggies. I would love to get him a bigger tank but we just got this one and I can't afford it. Soooooo I make up for it with time in the tub...I'd rather save for a new aquarium and I will but there are more pressing matters at the moment. No I'm no being neglegent. He gets the same area of space in the tub. Every single post says he goes in the tub. Not every 2 weeks . Every day. I want advice. I took the advice. I was insulted that the posts I read contained a you dont care about him attitude. I spend lots of my time on my turtle. He is alive. My husband hates him and wants to gget rid of him, I wont because I'm afriad he wont be cared for. I really belive not many people put in as much time and effort as myself. I read all your posts from head to toe and every one was rude. Advice taken. Your attitude is not. Thanky you for the advice. Veggies will be added to his diet. But you should only address the care of the animals not insult the owners without facts.

19. Orchid021

Orchid021 New Member

Diamond,

I did read your posts, but the one you posted at 8:16 had not showed up yet when I replied. I think we were probably writing them at the same time. I took awhile to write mine. You are right, there is nothing wrong with having him outside. That does provide UV light. I do the same with mine when the weather permits. But they need that UV light every day, and there are days when the weather just does not permit them to be taken outside. I too take mine out of his tank for some extra excercise, so I dont disagree with you on either of those points. But there are some improvements you could make if you chose to, and that is what biochic was trying to point out.

Good luck
    !

20. biochic

You didn't say he was in the tub every day. You said:
    You never described the "tub", I assumed it was a bathtub. Therefore, not out in the sun.

One thing though, not a criticism or anything, but I noticed your tank setup. The light hood, you said there was a UV light in there, if so and it's a regualr aquarium hood, just a heads up that if the plexiglass or regular glass is still in there below the light, the UV is being filtered out. I just caught one of ours like that the other day, thought I'd let you know.

21. diamondsmom

diamondsmom Embryo

Thanks orchid! I was crying I was so insulted. I know his diet needs to be changed.

22. diamondsmom

diamondsmom Embryo

Ok thanx ;) Is it safe to take the plexiglass out or is it an electrical hazard?

23. biochic

I think you would have enough distance to avoid an electrical problem. But a piece of screening or a screen lid would afford a little protection against splashing.
    To clear up all of this:
    I wasn't trying to insult you. You just came across as though you didn't care what we had to say, you were going to do what you wanted to do regardless. That's why I was so insistent. I just want to make sure you have all the information you need and that your turtle is provided for properly. Maybe it's a cases of "lost in translation". I don't disagree that allowing him to be outside in a tub is bad. you just didn't say that. you said you let him swim in the tub. i assumed you meant the bathtub and you never mentioned it being outside. Again, I'm sorry you felt insulted, not my intention at all, I just desperately wanted you to understand why I was "against" your setup the way it was presented to me to begin with.

24. diamondsmom

diamondsmom Embryo

Okey dokey