My sanke hides in a cool place for 3 days after he eats, why

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by fonzy, Dec 6, 2005.

1. fonzy

fonzy New Member

My sanke hides in his rock for about three days after he eats. It is in the colder part of the tank, about 72 degrees compared to the otherside of 88 degrees. I have a 40 gallon tank, and my corn is a hachling, eats PM. I was wondering if that is normal or not?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. matt_k

matt_k New Member

RE: My sanke hides in a cool place for 3 days after he eats,

Every corn is different. Four of my corns hide on the warm side of their cage for a couple days after feeding and three of them stay on the cool side. It'll stay wherever it's the most comfortable for him.

Is your 40 gallon viv cluttered with stuff for your corn to hide in? Make sure he has lots of silk plants laying around everywhere so he feels safe when he's moving around in the viv. I have a small yearling in a 40 gallon viv and I just cut up toilet paper tubes into little tunnels for her. I think she has about 25 tubes in the viv so if she doesn't want anyone to see her, she doesn't have to be seen.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. fonzy

fonzy New Member

have all kinds of hides, are corns more active at night?

Yep, my snake has a fack cave to hide in, a fake tree, a big stick log thing, and I use bark for the flooring so there is plenty of hide space. Are corns more active at night?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. matt_k

matt_k New Member

RE: have all kinds of hides, are corns more active at night?

Yeah, mine are all very active at night. Between about 12:00 and 3:00 at night they are all usually out.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Mine usually comes out in the early morning and early evening, though today I caught him exploring his tank at 10:30am. I guess it's just whenever they feel like coming out.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. jammer

jammer Member

Mine goes to his cool "side" after eating too. At this time of year it is about 60 degrees in his den.

12. fonzy

fonzy New Member

Can you pick corns up out of their hiding area?

I wanted to know if you can take corns out of their handling area, sence my corn is always there, I can never handle him if I dont want to disterb the corn from his security of the hide rock. Consequently, sould I just pick the corn up whenever I am lucky enough to spot him out of the rock; which is never?

13. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

RE: Can you pick corns up out of their hiding area?

How hot is it in his warm hide?

14. fonzy

fonzy New Member

Warmth

I have the warm side at 85 degrees.

15. matt_k

matt_k New Member

RE: Warmth

If my corns are hiding and I want to handle them, I just lift up the hide and take them out. If I waited for them to come out before I handled them, I could only handle them after midnight...

Go ahead and take him out of the hide to handle him, it won't hurt him.

16. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Yeah that's what I do. Just lift the hide and pick him up. If I saw him out of his hide and went to pick him up then, he'd just be in his hide again before I could pick him up anyway.

17. jammer

jammer Member

Motega is either under a log or rock or a piece of bark. Some of those are really too big to move without possibly hurting my snake. So I can't uncover him to pick him up most of the time. I can reach in from different angles though and touch him with my finger. To get him to come out, I just gently rub my finger along his side and push just a little bit. He usually comes out within 5 minutes.

18. fonzy

fonzy New Member

wondering if I can just feed my corn in his viv.

I was wondering if I can just feed my corm in his viv insted of taking him out and putting him in a different container, and then feeding him. I have just been feeding him in the viv. And my corn has no signs of trying to bite me, so whats the answer?

19. Ohana

Ohana New Member

RE: wondering if I can just feed my corn in his viv.

In my humble opinion, feeding inside or outside their normal habitat is a personal choice based on what you are comfortable with. Each little guy or gal has their own personality. Each one is on different substrate. So truly it is your choice whether you feed inside or out. Personally, I feed outside because I have my baby on shaved aspen and I don't want him ingesting any of that accidentally while feeding.

20. LewsKinslayer0

LewsKinslayer0 Well-Known Member

The main reasons why many people suggest to feed outside the viv is one like Ohana said, there is the chance of them ingesting some of the substrate which could lead to impactation. The second is that the snake doesn't come to associate your hand with food and that can lead to bites. I think the later is more important if you have a more aggressive snake but a corn over time could come to associate your hand with food. We feed out of the viv for both reasons, it isn't that hard. We handle Peaches for a bit and sicne she is only five months old we feed her in a kritter keeper, then dump her back into the viv once she is finished.

21. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

I feed inside because personally it's better for me and my corn since he's not a baby. He's 5ft. I'm too afraid of having to pick him up after eating. Plus he never associates my hand with food. He's never bitten or struck. I always put his food on paper towel so there's no chance of ingesting the substrate. But like everyone says, it's a personal decision.

22. fonzy

fonzy New Member

My Sanke finaly shed

I got my snake from his hide box, to feed him, and I found his shed! So what happens now, do I have to feed him more after his first shed?

23. jammer

jammer Member

RE: My Sanke finaly shed

Fonzy, just keep to his normal feeding schedule. When he gets to be a year or more old, he may start refusing food while he is preparing to shed, but should eat soon after shedding.

Ash19, how old is your snake? I am hoping mine reaches at least 5 feet. He is about 38 inches now and is about a year and a half old.

24. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

jammer, my snake is oooold lol He's 7yrs!!

25. jammer

jammer Member

Thanks Ash19. We'll see how he grows.