my sick iguanna please help

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by nando, Sep 29, 2003.

1. nando

nando Embryo

my 1 1/2 yr old iguanna seems to have stopped eating so i have been giving him repta-aid. i just recently moved my 2 iguannas into a larger 4 foot mesh enclosure which provides them alot of climbing and basking space. the younger (1 yr old, chico) is doing extremely well, hes actually a fat pig, but im terribly worried about harvey. can anyone advise me on how to help him settle in and enjoy his new home?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

It's possible that now they're growing up, one could be stressing otu the other. It could also be due to the change in housing. Reptiles will stress very easily, and a change of surroundings (or even a change of people in those surroundings) can sometimes have very negative effects.

Do you know what sex they both are? You might want to consider moving the one that's not eating back into his old enclosure on his own, without the other one and see how he does. It might just be that he likes being where he is, or that he doesn't want to live with the other iguana any more.

We've got two 5ft adult iguanas, and we've had to split them up. Annie lives in a 10'x5'x7' outdoor enclosure, and Skittles lives in an 8'x4'x8' outdoor enclosure. Together Skittles would just go nuts, he'd be trying to pressure Annie into mating (something that neither us, nor she, wanted), and she'd be tearing up her spine trying to get away from him. Skittles got depressed at being rejected and quit eating. Now he has his own enclosure, he's back to eating great, and is a right lil porker again.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. nando

nando Embryo

thank you so much for responding to my problem. i think both of my older iguannas are female, they always seem to get along so well, they lay ontop and next to each other all the time. however, i think i will put harvey ( who may be a girl ) in a seperate enclosure and see how he/she does. chico, who also may be a girl has a new housemate now,and seems to love the company. i work at a grooming shop and people always seem to find me when looking for adoptive homes for their unwanted pets, i can never say no because i love them all. anyway i now have a 6 month old skinny mini iguanna that someone bought and decided he was too much work. they are no work at all to me because they make me happy, always have and always will. i also adopted an eastern box turtle the other day. my house is now like a jungle habitat. the turtle ( tommy, not very original but thats what he looks like) is not eating too well either but i think its because he was on the street until a lady brought him to me, he should settle in shortly, i hope. thank you

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Girls can also become agressive towards each other. Iguanas have this somewhat unique tendency to not care what sex their cagemate is, and often will be agressive to them regardless. I've heard of many females that have attacked other females, simply because they didn't want anybody else in the enclosure.

It's great to hear what you're doing to help needy reptiles out there :D

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. nando

nando Embryo

these 2 never fight, they seem to love each other, if thats possible. right now it just seems that harvey is feling down, i just dont get it, but i will take the advice you offered and try it. thanks