my snake has only shed once?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Aleximunoz, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Aleximunoz

Aleximunoz Embryo

I've had my bp since november, it seems to be healthy. eating a medium mouse every 6-7 days. There was about a month and a half where it just refused to eat, jan-mid march. 2 hides, one on each side of the tank. warm side is 92.3 cool side is 81.5. there is a water dish however my snake doesn't hangout in it much. humidity is 40%.

Since I have had it, it has shed once, the start of january. it seemed to have a difficult time shedding, it took almost 2 weeks for all of the skin to come of. most of it was off in a week but some was stuck to the sides.

My bp is pretty young, I don't have anything to measure with but I would say about 26in. It's a little longer than its 20gal tank. Should it be shedding more often than this?

Attached Files:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Crazy4Herps

Crazy4Herps Hooked on Reptiles

The January-March fast is perfectly normal in BPs, I've got a girl that fasts from December-April every year. As long as the snake is in good health and keeps hydrated, it's not a problem. Feeding November-January would be enough to cause the January shed. Then, since he wasn't eating/growing throughout the fast, it's no surprise he hasn't shed. Now that he's eating again, you can expect a shed within the next few months. :p