my snake threw up what should i do

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by abcornsnake12, Jan 7, 2004.

1. abcornsnake12

abcornsnake12 New Member

i have a 31 day old ab corn the first time i feed him i gave him a pinky and the other day when i fed him all they had were fuzzies and i fed him that and he was ok but i started to notice that the lump wasnt going away that fast and the today i went to check on him and he had threw up and the lump was gone what should i do ?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Sounds like the fuzzy was too big for him to digest. They will regurgitate their food if it is too big. Usually try to stick with a food item that is about the size of their head, especially then they are this young. If you're not careful, large food items can sometimes cause impactions as well. Most of the time though, they will refuse food items that are too big. Stick with pinkies until he's a bit older. Small food items aren't necessarily bad. If he's stil hungry, offer another. If you're feeding him frozen/thawed food items, then buy up a dozen of so and keep them on hand so you don't have to search for other means of feeding.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. whistler

whistler New Member

I believe they tend to reguritate food if their not warm enough???isnt that so??

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

That could be true. I've never heard of that before. I know that they will slow down on food intake when they are too cold or refuse to eat altogether but I've never known of a snake to regurgitate due to temp. But I still think the problem was that the fuzzy was just too big for a month old corn snake.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

I've seen snakes regurg from temp before...

They eat because it's warm, then there's a power cut and the heat disappears, or it just gets extraordinarily cold one night, and in the morning you find a half-digested pinky laying on the tub floor. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen, and when it does, it's usually more often with young corns rather than adults.

Some corns can handle a one-off drop in night time temp really well, and some are much more sensitve - I think also there are some particular morphs that are more prone to this than others (2 of my blizzard corns have regurged at least once since September, one regurged twice), yet they're in the same condtions as 14 other similarly sized corns of varying other morphs. I moved the blizzards to a slightly warmer area, and no regurg problems since.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. BoaMan

BoaMan New Member

Snakes regurge because of 2 things. One being inadequate heat and the other being parasites. Give your snake a week or more to chill out and try to feed an appropriate sized mouse. Make sure there is plenty of clean water for your snake as dehydration can definitely occur after a regurge. Recheck your temps at the bottom of the cage. Colubrids do well around 85 degrees and they need a cool side to thermoregulate. If your snake doesn't keep it's next meal down its time to see a vet with a fecal sample.