My son's sick brown anole

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by sarahwhitmire, Sep 9, 2008.

1. sarahwhitmire

sarahwhitmire Embryo

We bought a brown anole at the pet store about a week ago for our son and the poor thing is not doing well. Any advice would be very helpful -- my three children are so sad about this, as am I.

I have no idea how old he is -- he's maybe 6 inches long with tail? He's pretty sturdy looking.

Our tank is 10 gallon, screen top, with the astroturf-like lining on the floor, some nice big sticks slanting across, water dish and a hiding place of fake green leaves. All thoroughly washed with bleach solution and rinsed and dried. We mist the cage 2-3 times daily and put a cricket or two in the cage during the day.

The lizard has eaten only one cricket in the past week, although we have offered him one-two every day. We've tried both large and small crickets, both calcium dusted and not. Crickets is what the pet store was feeding him. He just sleeps on a branch all day directly beneath the heat lamp. We have a thermometer and hydrometer in there and it looks like the temp and humidity are within guidelines. The pet store suggested that we try increasing the heat, so I've added a second gooseneck lamp aimed in the same area -- so we have one 75 watt basking bulb and then one of those blue UVB bulbs in the second lamp.

This morning I noticed that he looks like he is developing some kind of black/blue fungus or rash all over the front of his head -- his eyes seem like they are runny as well. This makes me think we need to get him to a vet.

Any suggestions or advice would be so helpful and so much appreciated. Thank you!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. sarahwhitmire

sarahwhitmire Embryo

Sadly, the anole died today. If anyone sees anything in the note above which looks off, pls let me know. We had great success with a green anole in a smaller cage, so I don't know if this time it was that we didn't have the right setup, or were not aware of some differences between the two types, or what... I'm not sure my son will want another one (he's very upset), but if he does I'd like raise our chances of success next time. Thanks for reading!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Jack Barclay

Jack Barclay Embryo

my brown anole [about 1 year] is never active any more and a few times i thought he was dead please reply oh and he always has his eyes closed but still breathing