My super worms came in !! One question and don't laugh

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by xboxmember1978, Mar 27, 2007.

1. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

I pick up the supers i feed all the time, and although they do struggle (ALOT) i've never actually felt one bite me..

I don't care much for the small crix either... it's when they start getting big i have problems :) I just shiver.

I'm not a bug guy though, ahh you should see me with spiders, i'm literally petrified of them :|

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. sepand

sepand New Member

Spiders I don't mind. I actually moved away from my home to do my masters in poli sci last year, and I was living in someone's basement for one full semester. The basement was full of spiders (not the big and thick ones, just regular spiders). No matter how many I killed or vacuumed (I think I sucked in around 30 which were hanging on the roof), they came back. So then I just started feeding them... with ticks!!! I actually have a video, I'm going to post it up (yup, this has nothing to do with geckos... just a tick struggling against a spider).

Roaches on the other hand, yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
    Crix are the same.

Hey those of you who are afraid of picking up feeders, can you do it at least when wearing some sort gloves??

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. LeapinLeo

LeapinLeo New Member

I dont touch either lol.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. LeapinLeo

LeapinLeo New Member

the only thing I touch is mealies

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Guilherme

Guilherme New Member

I touch mealies, super and crickets with my bare hand (after washing them of course), no problem.

They've never bitten me.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. BuGeYeS

BuGeYeS Member

I'm trying to overcome my roachphobia so that I can breed mealworms. I know it's probably easy, it's just the fact that their roaches. BTW, how do you seperate the roaches out of the worm bin without touching them with your hands? Seem tweezers would squish them...

Oh, and ticks....BIG PROBLEM with them! If one of our dogs has one on it, I have to break out the gloves to pull it off. EEWWW!!!!!

12. love_my_leo

love_my_leo Member

I have wonderful news for you. You dont have to get over your "roachphobia" to breed mealies. Mealies actually turn into beetles, not roaches !! So unless you have "beetlephobia" too, your all set :wink:

I wouldn't know how to get the beetles without squishing them at least a little as I don't touch ANYTHING unless it is completely neccassary lol.

13. geckofamily

geckofamily New Member

I use chopsticks to serve up the mealworms to Gecko. If there are some runaway worms are "leftovers" I'll catch them with my fingers sometimes to put them back into the gutload container.

When I have to catch the extra crickets after feeding time, I catch them in a tissue, squishing them. I'm too grossed out to catch them and put them back into the feeder box for next time.

In five short years, my son can take over feeding Gecko.

Superworms sound pretty scary.

14. sepand

sepand New Member

I really don't get it... why are superworms scary? THey're just worms... this is all news and surprising to me.
    Plus they look clean... not like roaches...

15. draxus

draxus New Member

I use my hands on stuff, only time i use tweezers is if I cant get my fingers to grip a little sucker :) I just saw my first super worm last week at the pet store, I wondered what they looked like and opened a container :) 3 came running out onto my hand and over the shelf as i tried to put 'em away employees moved ever closer but it all worked out :)

16. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

I pick all my feeders up with my hands unless they are too small to grip without squashing, I'm not a "bug person" but feeders are just feeders. They do bite but its hard for them to get any human skin in their mouths to latch on. I'm moving this to the feeder section as it fits better there.