My Temp as of now...

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by dejayssaleen, Feb 27, 2007.

1. dejayssaleen

dejayssaleen Member

Ok my UTH has been plugged into my Thermostat now and running on high for .. im thinking right around 4.5 hours... as of right now my temp right above the UTH is 83.1... does it noramlly take this long? My room temp is 66 .... and I checked the temp on the cool side of the tank and its only at 64!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. xboxmember1978

xboxmember1978 Member

A room temp of 66 will cause it to be cooler...what I did was I put a piece of cardboard under my mesh screen top to keep some of the heat in. The air temp in the tank should be atleast 70-80'ish

However the low 70's should only be at night...a constant low air temp will cause health issues

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. dejayssaleen

dejayssaleen Member

Look.... I went and got one of those expensive cooking thermometers from the kitchen to see if there was any difference between it and my digital. They both have probes and look at the difference.....?

[​IMG]

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. pjblink

pjblink Member

Strange...you may need to get a third to check which is reading right. Even just to borrow one!

Are both probes absolutely flush on the floor? Ive tested mine with a wireless "weather center" unit because i was wondering of the accuracy. They were absolutely bang on to each other!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. xboxmember1978

xboxmember1978 Member

I had the same issue but what I did is I pulled off the plastic around my probe and taped it directly to my substrate and it solved it

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. dejayssaleen

dejayssaleen Member

If anyone has the Reptil Temp 500R Thermostat.... as long as the green light is on, does that mean its not at the temp you have it set to be yet... and then when the green light goes off... that means its at the temp you've set it at?

12. xboxmember1978

xboxmember1978 Member

Green light means its on and hasnt hit the desired temp...light goes off means it has met the temp you selected

13. dejayssaleen

dejayssaleen Member

UPDATE: My digi that was 83.8 is now at 84.5 and the other is still at 87.... hmmmmm?

14. dejayssaleen

dejayssaleen Member

Re: RE: My Temp as of now...

Ok good... the green light is still on...... also xbox i put a fleese blanket on top of the tank to see if that helps....

15. xboxmember1978

xboxmember1978 Member

It will be more accurate if you remove the plastic around the probe like I did

16. dejayssaleen

dejayssaleen Member

Re: RE: My Temp as of now...

I'll do that now... but yes i see the probe is on the ground... i'll remove the plastic now.

EDIT: I tried to take the plastic piece off.... but maybe mine doesn't come off.... it sure wasn't moving at all, and im not wanting to break it ;)

17. xboxmember1978

xboxmember1978 Member

One more huge factor is that the hide needs to be on top of the probe to build up heat..if it isnt that means that the air temp will throw off the temps reading

Be carefull when you remove the plastic cause there will be two wires held together by a small piece of metal....tape it right to the ground and put the hide on top

18. dejayssaleen

dejayssaleen Member

as you can read uptop my edit... but i'll put my hide on both now

19. xboxmember1978

xboxmember1978 Member

oh yeah I forgot....Make sure that the two wires dont touch each other

20. xboxmember1978

xboxmember1978 Member

I guess your temp probe is different then mine....

21. xboxmember1978

xboxmember1978 Member

I would still try to get the air temp up though if not it will take forever to get the proper temp or the air temp might not allow your hide to get warm enough to kick off your thermostat

22. dejayssaleen

dejayssaleen Member

wow, what a difference so far, I put the hide ontop of each of the probes and the temps went up..... the digi on is now at 87 from 83.8 ..... and the other one is now at 89 from 87. Im going to give it a few and see where they go... the green light is still on my thermostat also

23. xboxmember1978

xboxmember1978 Member

Putting the hides on top of the probes will raise the temp but also remember that when you put your light on top of your tank that will also help raise the temp too

24. dejayssaleen

dejayssaleen Member

I don't have a light on top, I was told not to get one because the UTH would be fine, even in a room as cool as mine

25. dejayssaleen

dejayssaleen Member

UPDATE: Digi = 88.7 Other = 91