My Temp as of now...

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by dejayssaleen, Feb 27, 2007.

1. pjblink

pjblink Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: My Temp as of now...

How long has it taken to get these temperatures up? xbox, tiles will take longer than your shelf liner to heat up, but they will be more stable. My tiles took a long time to heat up initially, that's how they work.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. xboxmember1978

xboxmember1978 Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: My Temp as of now...

I'm not getting mixed up...lol..both his air and substrate temps on the cool side are in the 60's. last time he told me..

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. pjblink

pjblink Member

I said that the air temperature can drop a bit, 69 is absolutely fine in my opinion. In fact, my ambient air temperature is right there at the moment!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. dejayssaleen

dejayssaleen Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: My Temp as of now...

xbox... you said a day light..... is that a specail light or just a reg light bulb?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. xboxmember1978

xboxmember1978 Member

Just a regular 60-75 watt household bulb

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. dejayssaleen

dejayssaleen Member

I think like 69

12. pjblink

pjblink Member

69, that is absolutely fine. In my experience with tiles, give it time. They transfer heat very slowly, but nice and evenly. Leave your setup running, and see if any of that heat seeps across to the cool side. I currently have an air temperature of 69, hot side at 90, and im not sure what my cool side is currently.

With the tiles you will be able to feel a very smooth temperature gradient from one end of the tank to the other. If you have enough hides scattered throughout that gradient, your new leo will be able to find the perfect temperature!

See how that heat transfers through the tiles, it'll take a bit of time!

13. xboxmember1978

xboxmember1978 Member

Incandescent= 1/4 light 3/4 heat...these are great for cold rooms
    Florescent= 1/4 heat 3/4 light...these are good for someone that wants light but no heat

14. pjblink

pjblink Member

Incedently, room temperature is 70F, and most caresheets will tell you that a cool side can be left at room temperature. 69 in the winter is perfectly acceptable!

Tiles will always be slightly cooler than the air temperature, but lots of people here are using them without added light heating.

15. LittleLouie

LittleLouie Well-Known Member

How long has the uth been plugged in? What substrate are you using again? It takes time for the temperatures to stabilize. Also, I have found that my thermometer takes a few minutes to reach the exact temperature, so I'm usually best off to set it in place, walk away, and come back to read it in a few minutes. I wouldn't worry about disassembling it. You can check your thermometer's accuracy by placing their probes into a glass of cold ice water. Their temperature should read quite close to 32.

16. xboxmember1978

xboxmember1978 Member

His first post was at 5:33 and he said it was plugged in for 4-5 hrs so I guess he has had it plugged in for like 9 hrs now

although it is a good idea to give it time to see what the temps do

However he has my opinion on what I would do

17. pjblink

pjblink Member

Then the temperatures will not be stable yet. If the warm side has only just reached optimum temperature, the other side would not have been affected by the UTH at all yet. It will be interesting to see those temperatures after 24 hours.

18. dejayssaleen

dejayssaleen Member

Ok as of 9:51 eastern time my digital with the probe being under the hide is reading right now... 93.2 (should I start turning my thermostat down not until the light goes off?) ..... the air temp which the prob is about 3 - 4 inches off the floor is reading 73 degrees (on the warm side) ...... The floor temp on the cool side under the hide is now 66 ..... and the air temp on the cool side .. looks like its holding steady at 69. ..... now the time is 9:58 and the the digi under the hide on the warm side is readying 92.7 ...................... also i did put a 40 watt reg bulb above the tank in a clamp fixture.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. curiousKathy

curiousKathy Member

Here's a couple of other thoughts to consider...

1) Consider placing a piece of aluminum foil (shiney side up) under the UTH side of the tank. It helped stablize my temps and we keep our house at 68*F. My daughter's room is upstairs and gets cooler and the foil helps alot.

2) What is your tank sitting on? solid wood shelf? wire shelf? glass? This will effect how efficient your UTH will be. Glass and wire shelves are harder to keep warm...

I sedcond the idea of letting your setup run for a couple days and see where it goes.

Good luck!

curiousKathy

20. dejayssaleen

dejayssaleen Member

Oh, I just looked over and my air temp on the cool side with the probe about 3 inches off the ground is now reading 71

21. dejayssaleen

dejayssaleen Member

Kathy..... its on a glass table.... My UTH is now over 92 degrees so i don't think thats a problem.... its just like the cool side seems a lil to cold dont it?

22. pjblink

pjblink Member

It was 64, and now it's 66? Sounds like progress to me!

23. LittleLouie

LittleLouie Well-Known Member

I agree with pjblink. I would give the tank 24 hrs to get the temperature stabilized before adding more changes to it. I think 72 is actually the coolest recommended temperature for the cool side. . . could be wrong there . . . if your gecko is too cool on the cool side, he'll just stay on the warm side (and not thermo-regulate like he should be doing). However, I think that as long as you have his warm hides and a hide in the tank somewhere in the upper 70's, even if another part of the of the tank is too cool, he should be okay.

24. dejayssaleen

dejayssaleen Member

I don't like the idea of having the light fixure on top........... then again I like how it looks when the light is on and im sure with a red bulb would look cool.... but if i could get away with not HAVING to have the fixture on top that would be great... I'd like to put it up on ocassions, but not HAVE to have it.... right now i have it up there with a 40 watt reg bulb used for reg light in and around the house. (not a reptile light) but I still think thats putting off some heat. Do ya'll think i should take that down and just see what happens with the UTH over the next couple hours into tomorrow? The temp are getting better, Im thinking i should take the fixure down cuz that either might be the reason for the temps getting better, or im just thinking they are which would make me want to keep it there from now on.

25. pjblink

pjblink Member

Your 40 watt bulb might be nudging the air temperature up a little bit, but it won't be affecting the substrate that much really. Id recommend turning the light off, and letting your temperatures stabilise. Then you can get to know if your setup works as is!