My Tokay-Goliath!!!

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by ___LIAM___, Jun 20, 2007.

1. ___LIAM___

___LIAM___ Embryo

ive only had him/her for 5 days!!! and this pic was taken when he/she was grumpy.he/she is 7inches long so still a juvi and lives with my water draogn in a big viv(both happy,healthy, eating and no fights).
    [​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Hi liam cute Tokay. Most people will come in shouting at you for having your tokay in with your water dragons, so i'm going to save them the bother.

You may feel it ok keeping them together but it's really not advisable. Let me give you a few reasons for this:

Firstly, i dont know much about WDs but im sure they require different lighting, temperatures, humidity levels etc. Basically husbandry requirements are different.

Secondly, even if it has not happened yet, fighting WILL occur.Whether that be dominance issues or physical issues.

Also either lizard may have parasites which will be passed onto the other.

Those are just a few reasons, but please seperate them.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ___LIAM___

___LIAM___ Embryo

ok, first of all the husbandary is the same as they come from the same area in the world, second both lizards are mellow and just ignore each other plus the tokay hunts at night, and they are both parasite free as ive had my wd for a year and hes fine and the tokay has been captive for at least 8wks without any probs.soz i dont want to start a fight its just im sick of peple syaing the same thing.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Seattlesprsonics

Seattlesprsonics New Member

Well, what people are saying is right.....I dont know much about mixing species, but I do know enough to know that it isnt good under any circumstances....

I guess its just going to take one day of you coming home and finding your water dragon with a chunk taken out of it for you to realize what you're doing is foolish.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ___LIAM___

___LIAM___ Embryo

my wd with a chunk out of it? tokays arent that big and my wd isnt scared, but as i said they just ignore each other!!!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. vladvancia

vladvancia New Member

i wish u and u'r reptiles good luck, i really like u'r idea. i think that's ok as long as u have a big place for them there should be no problems,at least i hope so :D. keep us updated if something happens.

12. ___LIAM___

___LIAM___ Embryo

ok will do,atleast someone sees my idea.the viv is 4ft long, 4ft high, 2ft deep and im building a bigger one soon.

13. Seattlesprsonics

Seattlesprsonics New Member

Im just saying, you should know that Tokays have a very vicious bite, and if for whatever reason your water dragon happens to cross its path, it risks being bit.

14. ___LIAM___

___LIAM___ Embryo

ok thanks ill watch them, but i just want to say my wd is a big boy and can look after himself, plus he tokay hides all day.lol

15. vladvancia

vladvancia New Member

yeah that's true, tokays aren't the best thing to try something like this, but it's u'r choice. we r just telling our reptile lovers opinions. i still think that if there is enough space things could go on in a good way.

16. 00luke00

I hope you realise that what you are doing is wrong. I know it will just take for you to come home one day and see whats happened for yourself.

That viv isn't even big enough for a single adult WD. If you decide to not seperate them, at least make a MASSIVE viv.

17. ___LIAM___

___LIAM___ Embryo

what do you mean not big enough for a single wd, the minimum space is 75gallon and mine is 180gallon

18. 00luke00

The minimum tank size thought suitable for an adult WD is 6'L 2'W 5'H. Anyway, the husbandry of WDs is not the subject in this forum.

The bottom line is it isn't healthy for your tokay or your WD to be living together. The point has been made and if you decide not to listen to that point then it's upto you.

Let's move on now.

19. my_baby_anoles

my_baby_anoles Member

Wow...I am not sure why the advise being given by OBVIOUS experienced herp owners is not being even taken to heart...have you ever been biten by a tokay? or a WD for that matter? I had a friend bitten by a tokay, and it took us over 2 hours to get the tokay to finally let go. They have "teeth", and they hurt. Same as a WD. have you ever fed your WD pinkies or hoppers? have you seen the way they grab and violently shake their head back and forth, making the mouse's skin break open and bleed? I am sure that if either ever compete for food at all, or get in the other's way, either one could make serious damage to the other. Not to mention, "my wd is a big boy and can look after himself" is terrible. Would you expect someone to say that to their kids? or would you put a mouse and lion together and say that? I know one is bigger, but if the mouse can climb on the lion, it can cause bites...a little different situation, but I hope you get my point...

20. my_baby_anoles

my_baby_anoles Member

And not to mention, even if he was in captivity for 8 weeks does not mean he does not have parasites. If you got him from a petstore, chances are he was housed with either several other tokays, or several other different geckos. Even if he does not have parasites harmful to him, he may have parasites that are good for him, but dangerous to your WD...

21. ___LIAM___

___LIAM___ Embryo

i got a free vet check and he was cleared of mites,parasites etc. and as i said im going to keep a close eye on them!!!

22. brendywendy

brendywendy Well-Known Member

the thing is you cant keep an eye all th etime

what if one just treads on th eother while it sleeps, th eother wakes up in a panic and grabs onto the other ones tail and bites it off

th eother woudl be upset, and bite back, you could come back to two seriously injured or dead dudes

and saying my WD can llok after himself is daft
    if its a close fight it just means they will cause more damage

honestly, just listen to th epeeps with all th eexperience why dont you!

23. my_baby_anoles

my_baby_anoles Member

I agree...how many pets do you have? How long have you had them? How much research did you do? Did you prepare to buy them, or did you just walk into a pet store and go "hey, that thing looks cool, I want that..?" Like seriously, we are not trying to be mean or rude, but it is so sad when we know something for a fact, from knowing it, seeing it, living it, etc... and you won't even listen to us...not to mention depending on the size of your WD, that tank probably will not even be big enough when he/she gets full grown...do you have a pool in your tank? if not, then your WD could have a nasty disposition anyways from lack of having a place to swim. That is what they do...we are just looking out for the well being of your lizards, since you really do not seem to care if they get hurt fighting, which they will!

24. ___LIAM___

___LIAM___ Embryo

OMG i researched wds for 3mnths, ive had him for a year, hes got a deep cat litter tray for a pool,he is 25inches(when i bought him he was 16inches so i know hes growing and healthy), the viv is big enough for 2adult wds actually!!!.i know a couple of people that have mixed them succesfully(have been mixed for years!!!) i only wanted to show people my gecko i didnt want a WAR, has anyone actually mixed these species because if you havent then dont critise me just cause you have a gecko and think your the lord and master of lizards!!!!!!!!!!

25. ___LIAM___

___LIAM___ Embryo

please could we just leave it now ive had enough of arguing and i cant be bothered anymore.