My Water Dragon

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Primate, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Primate

Primate New Member

Hey everyone, new to the forum. Looks fun around here so I decided to sign up and post a few pics of my water dragon. 8) I came home one day and found this guy in my house in a small cage on my kitchen counter. Turns out my gf got it. Well, of course she lost interest in like 2 days, so he's mine now. We got off to a rough start too, he got some sort of respiratory infection so I took him to the vet and ended up having to administer a few injected antibiotics. That was hard since he was very small. at any rate, here he is a few months later. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is by far the most well-mannered lizard I have come across. ;)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. scottandhisdragons-)

scottandhisdragons-) New Member

WOW could you please tell me how to get a girlfriend like yours?? lol i would love to come home to find a new water dragon in my house :)
    Hes looking really healthy besides the respiratory infection. How old is he now??
    They are very well mannered. My year old wd that i`ve had for 6 months now is really tame. As are the adult male and female i`ve just taken in. Reccomoned a water dragon to anyone ;)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Primate

Primate New Member

I have had him now for around 6 months, and he was very small when I got him. I am not sure how old they are commonly when sold to the public, but he is well under a year. His appetite has increased by almost 400% in the last couple of weeks. I am considering adding pinky mice to his diet soon. As it is he eats mostly crickets and mealworms. I am thinking of getting him a friend, but I wonder how a young water dragon will get along with him. Funny thing is, they sold it to my gf as a "blue water dragon" heh heh. I have heard that many of the young water dragons are sick when you buy them and you just don't know as well. I found out though that I didn't have enough humidity and heat at night for him when I first got him though. So I put him in a 55 gal. aquarium with some live plants and a big water dish, as well as a couple of lights and a ceramic heat emitter and since then he has been shedding every three weeks or so and eating very well.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Anxbis

Anxbis New Member

Ooh welcome to the forums! I'm new too (joined yesterday :p)

Your dragon is really pretty, I can't wait for my babies to get to that size :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Primate

Primate New Member

heh, how big are they now? And thanks for the welcome! :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. scottandhisdragons-)

The pet store might be getting confused with a saphire water dragon which is as far as i know what i have. Its basicly just a slight morph of a green water dragon that has blue/green turquoisy colour stripes. But i don`t think thats what your is

It`s really not that good an idea to put another one with him. Especially not another male they will get on at first but eventually they`ll end up fighting until one of thems dead and the others injured. I had all sorts of problems when i introduced another wd to mine. I put a simular size male in with my female and she kept chasing him into the sides which led to mouth rot.

It just seemed more hassle than it was worth. They don`t actually need companionship. But it is alot better to watch them interact with each other :) The adult pair i`ve just taken in are great to watch. But they have been in together for 3 years and the males tail has big chunks out of it.

Let me know if he takes to the pinkies though i`ve been thinking of trying them on mine.

12. Anxbis

Anxbis New Member

They are only 3 inches long (without the tail) I was told they are two months old, but I haven't been able to find a size/age chart anywhere on the internet.

13. Anxbis

Anxbis New Member

Okay I just found a size chart lol ;o I don't know if it's correct, but let's see:

The first sizes are SVL (Snout to Vent Length) and the second ones include the tail

Hatchling - 1 to 1.5" OR 5 to 6"
    6 months - 2 to 3" OR 7 to 9"
    12 months - 3 to 4.5" OR 10 to 12"
    18 months - 4.5 to 6" OR 16 to 18"
    24 months (female) - 6.5 to 7.5" OR 22 to 26"
    24 months (male) - 6.5 to 9" OR 22 to 28"

Please tell me if you know your dragon's age if it matches this roughly!

14. Primate

Primate New Member

they sound cute! heh heh. I would love to try and breed some at some point when I get some more experience with them. For now I am gonna build a new vivarium or whatever for him. I am going to make it a corner design that stands about 6 feet tall with plenty of room to climb and bask. I wanted to make a filtered waterfall system of sorts, but I can't find a good material that is watterproof and affordable to make it from.

15. Anxbis

Anxbis New Member

Oh by the way, the first picture you posted should be resized, or just put the link to it. You're not allowed to put an image that is wider than I think 640 pixels.

There are good tutorials on the internet to make waterfalls, or if you are willing to shed out the money, Zoo Med and Exo Terra sell some pretty looking ones :)

16. Primate

Primate New Member

according to that size chart, mine is prolly just under 18 months old.

17. Anxbis

Anxbis New Member

Mine would be 6 months old, but I'm having doubts. They girl who sold them to me hatched them herself, so she should know how old they are, but yeah... That or they are terribly big for their age o_O

18. waterdragons2

waterdragons2 New Member

Oh, what a cutie! He looks just like my youngest baby boy. Except, of course, he has a tail. XD

I'd say that charts fairly accurate, of course, there's always going to be exceptions and variences depending on quality of UVB, diet, etc.

Primate -- try getting some flat slate from your hardware store. I don't know how cheap it is, but it's probably the best and easiest thing.

19. Primate

Primate New Member

Well, I guess I am not gonna be feeding him the pinky mice after all. I went to get some today and my gf freaked out about how messed up that is. Whatever... he is eating around 20 crickets/day on average now, so something's gonna have to change in his diet at somepoint to a bigger type of food. Any ideas? I was looking at those super meal worms.

20. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Silkworms! :) Awesome dragon, btw and welcome!

21. scottandhisdragons-)

Superworms are great in small doses. They still have the same problem as mealworms but on a smaller scale. They still have undigestable shells ( i think its called chitin or something like that) but not as much as regular mealies. Also they shed after a while so if you wait until they apear alot lighter than usual it means they are alot healthier for you wd. Also they are alot easier to coat in vitamins and because you can feed them in a small dish the vitamins don`t rub off like they can on crickets.

22. Primate

Primate New Member

hmm, that sounds good on both counts. Thanks guys, I'll try the super worms as well as the silkworms. :)

23. Kirstie

Kirstie New Member

that is such a cute little dragon i also have ohne too :)

24. Kirstie

Kirstie New Member

one too i ment

25. Nibbler_s_revenge_

Nibbler_s_revenge_ New Member

Please don't give him too many pinkie mice!! Once and again as a treat or if you want to breed,but not all the time :(