need advice on sick White's tree frog

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by tryg123, Sep 2, 2006.

1. tryg123

tryg123 Embryo

I got my indo White's tree frog in april and like him a lot. He has become ill in the last few days (sleeping on the ground and hiding during the day, not coming out at night, skin color noticeably different, but no skin condition I can see). I can't think of anything that has happened to make him this way. I don't use a substrate except for odor tamer cardbaord. He started showing signs of ilness after I fed him a superworm, maybe it was too much for him but have fed him these before without a problem. I change his water dish everyday and he seemed to be very healthy just before this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. He is a good little guy. THANKS

Terry

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

RE: need advice on sick White

I need to know a few things:
    What size tank?
    What are the temps and humidity?
    What size is the frog?
    What has changed about the skink color?
    What is his diet?
    What kind of lighting do you have?

If all you have is cardboard in the bottom, then there's a good chance the humidity is too low and he could be dehydrated. Does he have a large water dish for soaking in?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. tryg123

tryg123 Embryo

Thanks for writing. I know there are a lot of posts on sick White' tree frogs and I have tried to gain as much info from the postings as I can. The good news is that he is getting better, but I don't want to take that for granted.

He is in a 20 gallon high tank. I have a daylight spotlamp (with UVA) on during the day which gives him an area at the top of the tank that he can bask at 85 degrees. Otherwise temps are 72-78. The humidity is 60%. Yes, he does have a good size water dish to soak in which he was soaking in every night, except lately since he hasn't been doing as well he has not been soaking (I put him into a warm soak a few times since he hasn't been well but he fights getting into it.) I have a low watt infrared on the center of the tank at night.

The frog is 2 1/2 inches when he's all curled up. His skin color is a little hard to describe but recently has been a darker green (like a touch of grey or black). I have had him on a varied diet of earthworms, waxworms, small crickets and superworms. One of the warm soaks I put him into yielded the remains of a large superworm which I had fed him and he ate just prior to showing signs of sickness.

Thanks again! Terry