Need armadillo lizard info please!

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by jesterx626, Feb 22, 2007.

1. jesterx626

jesterx626 New Member

Hi i'm new to lizards, im deciding either a colored beardie or a armadillo lizard. Why? Cause it looks badass! Fully armored body and a spiked tail, my kinda lizard. I originally bought a 75 gal tank, 48 inch long x 18 inch wide, 20.5 inch tall, for a male beardie, now I'm thinkin of a armadillo lizard.

What type of light bulb should I have? Megaray?

How should my tank be setup?

Is sand substrate ok? Cause I know with beardie owners, they get real touchy about this.

How many can I have in my 75 gal?

How peaceful are they?

Do they bite?

It's ok to handle them correct?

What do they eat?

Are they skittish?

Would they run away if I try to handle them?

Do they recognize their owner?

What else am I missing that I should know?

Thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Laika

Laika New Member

hehe they remind me of pokemin for some reason!! cool pet.

I've never owned one, but looking around the net I found a few pages..

This page has a photo of a set up on it..
    http://www.dcpaleo.org/Leisure/Animals/LizardsArmadillo.html

I would say that sand is never ok for any reptile.... Years ago when I first starteed keeping leo's I had 2 die from impaction... its better to be safe that sorry I guess and use tile/slate or something similar...

I found this out..
    Use a full spectrum UVB light; this will output good UV rays for calcium absorption so that it can digest its food better. The UVB light should be used for 8-10 hours of ultraviolet lighting. This can be maintained by using a timer.
    Temperature
    The daytime temperature should be between 75-85 degrees. The Basking area should have a temperature from 90-100 degrees. At nighttime the temperature should be 70-75 degrees.
    Humidity
    Humidity should be at 45%
    Food
    Crickets and wax worms dusted with calcium. adults should be fed every other day, juveniles can be fed 2 times daily since they will be growing.
    Water
    Shallow dish of water. Water must be changed daily. Also daily misting of cage will help keep humidity up and simulate natural water intake.
    Housing
    29-gallon tank is minimum. Screen Lid required for air exchange. These reptiles need a temperature gradient so therefore you will need a basking spot and a cooler area. Also you will need somewhere where the reptile can hide, this will decrease the stress level. Climbing branches should also be available.

Lizards arent like cats and dogs... they dont really recognise their owner. If you called their name they wouldnt come running etc. But some will become tame and more able to be handled in time. From what I have read just now on some sites, these lizards aren't very friendly..

Just google... there is quite a bit of info out there.

Armadillo Lizard Size: Adult length up to 10" Temperature/Humidity: Ideal daytime temperature for these lizards should range between 70? and 85?. Additionally, a basking lamp should be used to maintain a local temperature of 95 to 105?. Night time temperature should remain between 65? and 75?. The humidity for these lizards should be kept at or near 45%. Lighting: All diurnal (mainly active during the day) lizards require 8-10 hours of ultraviolet lighting to maintain good health. The use of a timer will assist in maintaining an accurate schedule of light periods.

Feeding/Watering: Armadillo lizards are insectivorous (eat mainly insects). Insects should be dusted with a vitamin/calcium powder. Suggested insects are: crickets, mealworms, superworms, and waxworms. A shallow water bowl is necessary to keep these lizards in optimum health. Water should be changed daily.

Habitat/Housing: Individuals can be maintained in a 20 gallon aquarium. A screen lid is essential for proper air exchange. Armadillo lizards are best kept singularly. However, for multiple pets, increase habitat size accordingly to ensure each lizard has plenty of space to move about and not interfere with tankmates. An undertank heater should be placed on the same end of the tank as the basking lamp. Multiple climbing branches are necessary as well as a shelter for hiding, especially if multiple pets are in the same enclosure. Misting the habitat occasionally will help maintain proper humidity levels and allow for these lizards to intake water in a manner to which they are accustom. Substrate

(Bedding): 2" to 3" inches of Repti-Bark and Bed-Beast is recommended for armadillo lizard terrariums. Cork bark can be added as low hiding areas. General info: Armadillo lizards typically tame very easily. For this reason, they are often recommended as ideal childrens' pets. These unique "armored" reptiles are also livebearers and readily breed in captivity.

Like I say, I've never kept these before... but if you are new to lizards I would suggest getting a leopard gecko or a bearded dragon first. They are friendly, very easy to keep and sturdy reptiles.

I hope this info is of some help.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. jesterx626

jesterx626 New Member

Thanks, I just recently saw pix of a bigger better upgraded version of the armadillo lizard, called Cordylus giganteus, its tail looks like it has bigger spikes, it looks awesome! If i wanted a C. giganteus lizard, where would I be able to purchase one from? Would it be wild caught?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. hotguy

hotguy Embryo

armadillo lizard

ok i can answer your questions cause i have a armadillo lizard.First of all you only need a 20 gallon tank but the bigger the better.Ok you will need a 50 watt light bulb,a humidity gauge,a thermometer,for subsrate you can use bark they need a couple of hides,they eat crickets, when they get big enough they can eat pinkies (baby mice) and thats about it.Oh yeah i forgot the most important part they need water...lol.

curtis :wink:

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. smbrickner

smbrickner Embryo

RE: armadillo lizard

I just aquired what the pet store claims is a Armadillo Lizard. I was reading some other sites and noticed that there is another type of girldled lizard that they are often confused for that is sold in pet stores. If I take a picture will someone help me determine what I have because I want the habitat to be correct for him.