Need help, caught unknown lizard!!

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by Saleen89559, Oct 6, 2005.

1. jami

jami Member

thats what im thinking hybrid *S* great find may be you can name its species *S*

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. MAtt!123

MAtt!123 Member

Nice find its back is shiny and green thats awesome.the habitat could use a bit of work tho ;)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Saleen89559

Saleen89559 Embryo

10 gal tank is only temporary.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. RobAtPace

RobAtPace New Member

if it's wild, you should have left it wild.

it makes no sense to captivate a wild one... if you want a lizard so badly get a beardie.

by the looks of your pictures, the lizard has to be held in place with your thumb... not really a social lizard.

you should just let it go, it unfair to the animal.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. smokiez

smokiez New Member

what the hell sort of a reason for keeping or not keeping a reptile is that?

It's not a toy.

Maybe you should poke the lizard with a pencil. If he likes it, keep em! If he does not, try bending his tail in half and see what happens!

some people...
    :evil:

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. clarinet45

clarinet45 Well-Known Member

i agree, release him before he can't go back to the wild.

12. jarrell

jarrell New Member

i dont get it. the spiny tail lizard is a indruce species in florida, and is considered pest. it is the one disturbing wildlife. whats the difference of him observing the animal. not every one keeps lizards as pets, some want to observe the animal. the spiny tail lizard is getting big in pet trade also. i say keep it unless someone can give me a real excuse.

13. xomissi

xomissi New Member

^^i agree^^

those people shouldn't have jumped at you. they don't understand that the lizard is introduced to the us and are kept as pets. i hope you have the best of luck with it!

14. DragonDreams

DragonDreams New Member

I read that there are agencies that are being paid to capture iguanas and other non-native species of reptiles in florida. The ones captured are being destroyed if no one will give them a home because they are destroying the native habitat. You may have saved that little guy's life. Anyone concerned should read up on it, it's in the news everywhere online.

15. bluesquirrely4

bluesquirrely4 Member

It is not a iguana. the ears are competly different. From the ears and what you said about the pores it looks like some kind of gecko. if he is looking good then keep him, you may want to talk to a vet to see if he knows what it is.

16. bluesquirrely4

bluesquirrely4 Member

sorry could not see the other page. Hey if the wild life people didnt have a problme with you keeping him then do it. For him being so small and a part of the iggy family he is very calm i have a baby red iggy that we are still working with him to trust us to hold him. Keep up the good work

17. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Member

Have you considered an agamid? They also have the "third eye" and pores. Try doing a search on that and if you do plan on keeping it then sort it's tank out. Even as a temporary enclosure it doesn't seem suitable. I.e UV, substrate etc.

18. _Exedus60_

_Exedus60_ New Member

Thats a sweet lizard, How come no lizards in Illinois=( lol

19. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

Pretty lizard, nice find :D

20. kherp

kherp New Member

I agree that you saved this lizard by takeing him in.

21. mxracer4life_41

mxracer4life_41 Member

Its not a gecko, sorry. I do agree it is some species of spiny tail iguana though. I once heard that when a species is relocated like that, not native, the coloration can/will change in most case. This could be what happened, but who knows. later

22. kherp

kherp New Member

23. cantudallas

cantudallas New Member

I'm not refuting what it is, but I think there are many types of lizards with a parietal eye and femoral pores...including the Spiny Lizards, swifts, and beardie that I've raised from juvies. I've found that the National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles and Amphibians is an invaluable tool to keep around for reasons such as this. It outlines lizards, snakes, amphibians by species or region, and gives very basic husbandry info. I've used mine dozens of times.

24. Mike89

Mike89 Member

The people that keep saying let him go, he belongs where you found him. No he doesn't it is not a native species. Do you think a lizard would rather be wild and have to find it's food, sometimes go hungry/thirsty, compete with other animals and have a very small chance of making it to adulthood...OR...sit in a tank that is just the right temp, he gets feed everyday, there is no competing. Honestly.....humans are animals too......so if you think it should be wild, test out the idea and go live in a cave.

25. Mike89

Mike89 Member

I'm positive he would much rather chill in some tank and get fed all the time, don't you? of course you do.