Need help identifying my tortoise

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by lukyhare, Sep 2, 2005.

1. lukyhare

lukyhare Embryo

[​IMG]

I just picked this guy up at the store and don't know what type of tortoise he/she is. Can anyone help?
    Also, any other information and care tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

lukyhare

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. WhiteRhINO

WhiteRhINO Embryo

maybe a red leg but i cant really tell

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. allegraf

allegraf Embryo

lukyhare,

It is not a redfoot tortoise. It looks like it may be a yellowfoot without the spots on the shell. Try posting the pic on http://forums.kingsnake.com/forum.php?catid=35 That is a board that specializes in torts.

Allegra

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. allegraf

allegraf Embryo

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. lukyhare

lukyhare Embryo

Thanks all. Ill post the pics on kingsnake and also try to take a better quality pic here to see if i can give you a better idea. How do i sex this kind of tortoise?
    And do have any care tips. He/she seems to like most any food i give (lettuce, tomatoes, kiwi, mango, and a little chicken). Also how do i give it water, do i get a small water dish or something?
    thanks again,

Lukyhare

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. lukyhare

lukyhare Embryo

Heres a few better pictures

I searched online for bells hingeback and redfoot torts and they seem to look different. Here are some better quality pics, let me know if you can tell what type of tort this is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again.
    Lukyhare

12. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I found a couple of pics of a Bell's that look similar to your little guy. If it is a Bell's, I hope you're prepared for the amount of space you'll need. Also, I wouldn't make the tomato a staple food...very acidic...keep it as a treat. The following care sheet is great and comes from a site that is well known for their tort and turt care.

http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/Kinixysscare.htm

13. lukyhare

lukyhare Embryo

Thanks Biochic

Thanks for the information and website link. Now that you mention the possible size, i hope its not a bells hingeback. Also i noticed that hingebacks have a hinge in the back of their shell that gives them the ability to hide their hind legs and tail under their shell. Im not sure the tortoise i have can do that. ill have to check more carefully.

14. allegraf

allegraf Embryo

Lucky,

It is very important that you find out what kind of tort he is because depending on where he is from determines the appropriate diet. You may be feeding him stuff that may be deadly to him. If he is a desert tort, they have totally different needs than if he is a rainforest tort. Here is the general tort forum to post your pic. http://forums.kingsnake.com/forum.php?catid=35 Good luck.

Allegra

15. lukyhare

lukyhare Embryo

Thanks for the info

I posted a pic of my tortoise on the kingsnake site, will see what they say. Also the other websites have been very helpful, i agree thought that i need to first identify him so that i get the proper care information.
    I realize getting enough calcium in his diet is key for most tortoises. I have also bought some Tortoise calcium supplements but how do you get the tortoise to eat it. I put some on vegetables for him, but he doesnt seem to like it and avoids any veggies that have the calcium. Anybody have a better way?

Thanks again,

Lukyhare

16. Orchid021

Orchid021 New Member

When I had to give my tortoise medicine, my vet said I could use a small bit of apple sauce or a grape. She said not to use it too often though because it can cause parasites. She also suggested cooking a carrot until it is mushy, mashing it up, and mixing the medicine in. Maybe you can bribe him with that until he gets used to the taste, or just put a very little bit on and gradually increase.

17. lukyhare

lukyhare Embryo

Calcium supplement

Orchid,
    Those are great ideas. Ill try them out. So it is normal to sprinkle calcium on veggetables to feed to them?

18. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Sprinkling the calcium on the veggies is how most people will do it. Sometimes though, you just can't get them to eat it regardless of how hungry they are. One thing I do is mist the greens with water to dissolve some of the powder a little and then toss it like a salad. That way they can't see the powder and the smell isn't as obvious. If that doesn't work, you can mix the calcium into some fruit baby food or fruit yogurt. Only a pinch (about 1/8 teaspoon) of supplement per teaspoon and only once a week. Some torts shouldn't get a lot of fruit but they can have it as a treat and it's a good way to sneak in the calcium. Make sure that the yogurt is room temp before offering it though. You can put it on top of the salad, or mix/toss it into the salad. Some people offer it separately in between feedings.

19. aseel

aseel Embryo

just seen your post did you have any luck identifiying your hatchling tortoise i am pretty certain its an elongated tortoise hatchling( geochelone indotestudo) i have a pair of this species when i find how to i will post some pictures of mine,as for there care they have the same captive requiements as redfooted tortoises