Need Help?!

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by maltasnake, Sep 21, 2007.

1. maltasnake

maltasnake Embryo

After next June or August i'll probably be going to Australia. I've just got a corn and corns cant be brought or bought in australia........What subspecies of carpet python would do you recommend (newbie). Space wise and ease of care. :) A childrens python would be a good idea however i would like something more colourful. I already have a 90cm by 45cm viv.Thx for helpin me out.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Bunny

Bunny New Member

So far I love my Jungle, Relativeley inexpensive, does not get too large, beautiful colors and the arboreal nature means that he is pretty much on display 24/7. Diamonds are beautiful but hard to breed so at least in the states it is hard to find a "pure" one.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

I'd go for an Irian Jaya carpet python first, and a jungle second. Diamonds are good looking buggers, but most out there are crosses, and they can also grow to a pretty big size, so I wouldnt recommend to a newb.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. improvius

improvius New Member

If you're in Australia, you should be able to get some nice diamonds. Also check out the "blonde mac" spotted pythons.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

If I were you I'd wait to get a snake once there...there are some Carpets there that we don't have here that are just killer! Get a Darwin as soon as you land :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Jason_Hood

Jason_Hood Embryo

You can't bring any snake into Australia. They have very strict laws reguarding this stuff.

Jason

12. Naomi

Naomi New Member

Hey there! As an aussie, I know our import laws are most probably the tightest in the world (we would love corn snakes and burms, but it just ain't happening!). Try a diamond python, they're big, beautiful, and very placid if handled properly from early on. My boyfriend's is 5' or so now, and she came with us to our Vets for World Animal Day saturday 6/10/07 to help raise money for WSPA (ie pay 50c for a photo holding a big snake). She's never been handled by so many people before, but took it like a pro, draped herself over adults and children alike and didn't get snappy or aggro (aside from eyeing of a clients chihuaha with a look that just said "Y'know, I bet I could eat that!" lol). Funny moment was when she wrapped herself over a policeman showing his animal loving support for us, but then draped her head over his gun and he was too scared to move her lol.

Depending on what part of Oz you're moving too, consider the best variety of snake for that climate. Green Tree Pythons cost a fortune, and are a pain i the butt to keep if you aren't naturally in a tropical climate. Coastal Carpets and Diamonds are good for the NSW region, around the eastern seaboard say. Childrens are pretty good anywhere, little troopers that they are.

If you are in Sydney, let me know and I'll give you the name of my breeder, he's awesome and also head of Sydney Herp Society.