need info on king snakes

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by dogking, Mar 29, 2010.

1. dogking

dogking HOTM Winner September

I have wanted to get a snake for a long time and after a little research i think i am going to get a king. i was hoping that someone could answer a couple questions i have. how long do they get? how big of an enclosure do i need? is it better to get them as babies or adults? also if anyone has a good care sheet i could see if they could post the link. thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Belletair

Belletair New Member

Good choice, I've only owned one king and it is a b&w banded cali. Great snake.

Size varies by species. Any one in particular you're looking at?

Again, the enclosure depends on the size of the snake. At the moment I've got my cali in a 10g, but he's quite small still. Once he grows some more I'll probably move him into either a 20g long or maybe a 30. Should be more than enough room for a king.

As for hatchlings/juvies vs. an adult, I usually say get 'em young. That way the snake will know you better (longer) and it's generally easier when you start with a fella young. Now of course, there are exceptions. If there is an adult you're looking at, maybe a well cared for adult a friend is getting rid of... then sure, that's one thing. But if this is your first snake, I'd recommend going with a hatchling.

Hope that helps. :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Dave Bergerson

Dave Bergerson Embryo

Hatchlings are cool but,some can be problematic.Baby greybands are soo small you may have to feed them lizard tails until they are big enough for a normal meal.Cal kings are generally great eaters from hatchlings.I have always gone through a breeder that I know.Make sure the snake has been eating .At least a few meals.I've had good results with Eastern,Cal,Black,Arizona Mountain Kings.Babys, Juviniles or adults ,it's up to you what you want.Kingsnakes are a good place to start.Try looking on Kingsnake.com.