Need Tokay Gecko info

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by Snookmaster, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Snookmaster

Snookmaster New Member

Need some info on Tokays, if you got some or know a good website let me know.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. reako45

reako45 Member

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. herpslave

herpslave Member

Yeah and tokays are not a pet you would want to handle. Even most babies can't be tamed. But they are a awesome pet to watch eat, grow ect. They grow pretty large! I used to have one I think it was about a foot long.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. superchole

superchole New Member

wow i just got a tokay too this is just what i was looking for thanks

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Snookmaster

Snookmaster New Member

I got it from a local herp store called Glades Herp. thanks for the help.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. HMWH

HMWH New Member

I have had my Tokay about 10 days now, think its male, but its young so we will see( he is 7-8 inches long)

Anyway, as my Tokay(Spot) gets more acquantied with his surrondings, the more he stays out, at first he did notthing but hide, and now he hangs on the fake ivy plant i have in there. One day i may pick him up and see how he is doing.

With the ultimate goal of buying him a leash so he can walk in to petsmart with me.

12. Snookmaster

Snookmaster New Member

I wouldn't even try the leash thing, HMWH, my tokay is more ferocious than my Knight Anole (and I thought that it wasn't possible that a creature more vicious than a Knight Anole could exist ;) :shock: )
    But they are still cool lizards to observe from the saftey of the other side of the glass. If you want to keep all your fingers I wouldn't even touch it if I were you.

13. joe5555

joe5555 Member

my cuban knight anole is tame.

14. Gekkojoe

Gekkojoe New Member

I've got 3 tokays, and they all think they are tough as hell, they are fun to watch though, we fed them pinkies the other day and my male clamped down on it's neck like a freakin crocodile, it was pretty cool, even when you are feeding them they are mean and give you that gaping mouth i'm gonna mess you up if you touch me look, but that's why you wear gloves. good luck

15. HMWH

HMWH New Member

what humidity level do u guys keep them at?

16. Gekkojoe

Gekkojoe New Member

Don't know, we just mist them 2-3 times a day pretty good.

17. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

they need very high humity, from 60 to 80%. They also should be fed daily as young and everyother day when full grown. They get be 10-12+ inches long. They can live up to 20+ years. They need alot of foliage for cover, so have alot of leafy plants, fake or real. Fake is easier. They hide during the day cause they are nocturnal. So have a little cave or half of a log in there for them to hind in. Some moist moss in the corner is also good. They will probably only poop in one spot in the tank. So pick it up whenever u see it, this will help everything out. Keep them well fed and in a humid enviroment and they will do good. Bye the way, I wouldnt recommend handling them unless its to get it out of the cage for cleaning.

18. caesiusdraco

caesiusdraco Embryo

Don't handle Tokay's period. They have five pounds of jaw pressure, and they aren't kidding. They're not aggressive enough to lunge after you, but if you reach in and grab ahold of them, they're going to clamp onto your hand like a pitbull. And they can draw blood.

When you have to take them out to clean the enclosure, make sure you're using good, leather gloves of some type. If you don't have any, wrap your hand in a towel and make sure none of your skin is exposed. The worse thing you can do is take it out, have it bite you, startle and drop it, and have to chase your Tokay all over the house. Glass climbers like Tokays are particularly not fun in that scenario.

19. Reggin1607

Reggin1607 Embryo

hey do u know any sites that could tell me where i could find some baby tokays

20. joe5555

joe5555 Member