nervous parent needs guidance

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by coldbloodedkeeper, Jul 11, 2004.

1. coldbloodedkeeper

coldbloodedkeeper New Member

2 of my turtles have mated,m this past week off and on and for one solid day on mon. when should i have her nesting things ready?, and what should i use?, and how long until she lays them?, how can i make her comfortable laying them? should i separate her from the others? will she need extra food? i have wanted babies for 3 years and never had them breed until now....what do i do? :? :shock:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. ferret_corner

ferret_corner New Member

What kind of turtles? Or are they box turtles (tortoises)?

I would say, yes, have a nesting spot ready, how do you plan on incubating the eggs? She will need extra calcium, but not to much, for the eggs. Beyond that I can't help without knowing what kind of turtle they are, where they are kept, etc.

Sharon

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ferret_corner

ferret_corner New Member

Sorry I just read your other post. Do a google search for "breeding 3 toed turtles" and "breeding 3 toed tortoises" and find your torts.

You need to know how deep she will bury her eggs and what temp to keep the heat at for them to hatch. You might find a good way to incubate them yourself....

Sharon

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. coldbloodedkeeper

they are box turtles the book calls them three toed box turtle, they are outside in a cage. and in mo. doniphan mo. i am so nervous and excited!!!!!!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. coldbloodedkeeper

i read that a female turtle can store sperm for 4 years does that mean she can refrain from laying the eggs for 4 years as well?
    thanks i will search that