New 2 Group

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by biotechman, Dec 18, 2007.

1. biotechman

biotechman Embryo

Hello,
    I'm glad I stumbled onto this site. :) I recently purchased a cbb male tokay hatchling (named Zeus @ 4months old), and it's my first gecko. I'm not concerned about their reputation, as I've raised hatchling gaboon vipers. :shock: Yes, I handle him.....DAILY!!! :wink:
    Being nocturnal, is there a way to view their behavior at night? Will a 'blacklight' work? Thanks for any responses.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. MikeDr0

MikeDr0 New Member

wow hes pretty you can use a red light because they cant see that part of the spectrum

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. matt_ss94

matt_ss94 Embryo

I use led "moon lights" that people use on aquariums. Looks much more natural plus helps him hunt. I also just got my first one today he is a CB male but mine is 3 months. whats the temp in your aquarium. I talked to 3 breeders who said they need 3 differnt temp zones. 1 bewtween 90-95 1 bewtween 85-90 1 bewtween 78-82. I have met all these have you? I found a 5.5 In clamp lamp and a 50 watt zoo med bulb work great to meet these needs.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. biotechman

biotechman Embryo

I have a 29g aquarium. It is a 'natural habitat'. I have a 75w zoomed bulb at one end, which provides the temp gradient. If you have a temp gun you can do a 'spot check'....DAILY. I've included perches for him to bask, and he seems to have found his spot. I also have a plant gro flourescent bulb for my plants. When he gets too warm, he'll retreat to the other end of the enclosure where the hides are. There's foliage EVERYWHERE, so at his current size I have to hunt for him!
    Where can you purchase moonlights? I hate PETCO/PETSMART! :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. matt_ss94

matt_ss94 Embryo

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage...urrent_usa.html

Those are what I use and I Think there great. I bought the white but the blue would probably look good too. 15.99 for the first and the connections are 12.99 each. They reccomend 1 per 2 foot of tank but I have 2 on a 20" and its looks really good. I would get 2 for your tank also.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. biotechman

biotechman Embryo

Matt,
    Thanks for the site! I'll get some soon and take pics!