New Addition

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by herpluver, Jul 24, 2007.

1. herpluver

herpluver New Member

This is my new baby. :(
    I picked her up last weekend at a reptile show in Kentucky...what do you think?

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bodom85

bodom85 Member

Very nice blood. I love the side pattern. Awsome. should grow up to be a nice looking blood.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Blake_Herman

Blake_Herman Well-Known Member

I really like that shade of red on this one... keep us updated!! lots of pics as she grows... :(

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I just love bloods.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. spooky326

spooky326 New Member

very very nice looking. i have wanted to get a blood for quite awhile now but the boss (wife) says no cause the one we saw was an adult and to her it lookied like it could eat one of our cats!!! she doesnt want to have anything that could eat something that big.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. dumerillis_1986

dumerillis_1986 Well-Known Member

Congrats! i miss my blood...

How is your new guys temper?

12. herpluver

herpluver New Member

So far her attitude has been not terrific....but I am accounting for new home, smells, etc. I have been using my snake hook to get her out because she does hiss a lot. Once you get her out and she chills out ,she seems to be fine. I expect to get bit at some point..... :) Hopefully it won't be too bad. She has eaten already for me and has an awesome feeding response. I will just keep working with her and hope for the best. She does have a gorgeous pattern to her. OK I will stop the novel now. :p

13. Blake_Herman

:)

14. dumerillis_1986

dumerillis_1986 Well-Known Member

Lol Blake... It is like a ball python bite except a little more of a shock factor due to the size of the head and how big they are compared to a ball lol.

15. Blake_Herman

hey, my partner raises bloods, and I've seen his bites... :? please be careful!!

16. bodom85

bodom85 Member

My blood only hissed at me once I think. He is very nice. I only got hit by mine once and that was it for me. He was only about 2' then. I was misting his hid (with him in it). I looked away for only a second and I turned just in time to see a brownish flash and something that felt like a rock hit my hand. They are very fast. They are like the gaboon. They look like they lay in the same spot for days (with they do) and they look slow due to size but when they want to bite they are rockets. amazing though. I love them.

17. herpluver

herpluver New Member

OK Blake no making fun the newbie blood chick :) ...J/K!

I know it will happen at some point. I am trying to be careful, thanks for the warning.
    One of my baby corns bit me last night and I barely felt it ( I know NOT the same ) but I guess I am just meaning I am expecting to get bit. Not that I want to but it kinda comes with the territory! So far I have had her out 3 times without accident but I am using my hook, moving slow and giving her space if she seems upset.

18. herpluver

herpluver New Member

UPDATE!!! Blake please look!

BLAKE, here is an newer pic of my blood.
    Medusa still hasn't pooped and I soaked her in lukewarm water yesterday for about 45 minutes....any other thoughts??

[​IMG]

19. Blake_Herman

RE: UPDATE!!! Blake please look!

geez, she doesn't look like she has much in her, is she peeing at all...? I'll give my partner a call to see what he thinks... maybe give me a day to get in touch with him and I'll get back to you? She looks AWESOME though, really beautiful... :wink:

20. herpluver

herpluver New Member

No, she has not peed, pooped, shed...nothing. She otherwise seems to be healthy, has settled down nice and eaten 3 times. I tried feeding her last night but she wouldn't take it. She even handled the bath really well....no hissing or anything. When I get her out she seems curious about her surroundings but does get scared over quick movements. I just don't get it and I am starting to get worried. Any help is greatly appreciated...thanks a bunch Blake. Get back to me when you can!

21. Blake_Herman

alright, I checked with my friend, and he agreed with what I was thinking... I wasn't sure what size prey you were feeding, so we weren't exactly sure, but 3 feedings in a month and a half isn't quite enough. Especially with a young blood because they absorb SOO much of their food. You could be feeding appropriate sized meals twice a week, and on a diet like that, you could expect defication once a month or so... :wink:

but with 3 feedings, and especially after seeing the updated pic, I just don't think there is enough going in, for things to be coming out... :wink: I'm not at all dissing on your husbandry, your blood looks great, but you could definitely up the feeding schedule... hope some of that helps?

as far as being concerned about impaction, they would literally be really bloated in the back third of their body, and you could probably feel a large hard lump just in front of the vent. The urates in bloods can get VERY hard, which is what you would be feeling. Another possibly bad sign is a shed without a poop. They hold their poop as long as they can, so they'll get pretty large before they release it. I've read that they hold it so long to make their striking ability more accurate and also to have faster strikes. I've seen my borneo actually get off the ground striking (like his whole body jumped up it was soo hard - he snapped fast!!), and it was amazing even though it was a little scary. And an impaction would mean they probably have so much feces built up that their anus/vent would probably be swollen... The warm water baths are a great way though to keep up more "regular" bowel movements...

good luck with all of it, and let us know how it goes!! :D