new albig cage process

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by varanidfan, Mar 18, 2005.

1. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

I really like that what are the dimensions.. and much did that all cost for what type of moniter or tegu? whats albig?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

dimensions

Its for a Varanus a. albigularis, or whitethroat monitor. The dimensions are 8 feet long 4 feet deep and 4 feet tall. It cost about 450 to build. Just plywood covered in tile board framed with 2x3 studs. all caulked and sealed in the seems for moisture protection. I is a great cage and very functional. here is a pic of the other design i use.
    its the same dimensions as the first one, but not as tall, only 32" tall double stacked to save floor space which is oh so valuable in a 250sq ft basement with a dozen or so monitors in it....lol
    this cage cost about 1,000 to build.
    [​IMG]

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

those are some awsome enclosures!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ryzard

ryzard New Member

Yeah they are. I'm no carpenter so I wouldn't know, but what made it cost 1000 bucks? The wood?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

material costs

between the wood, hardware, acrylic for the doors, lighting electrical vents etc etc it adds up, that cage was 8 sheets of plywood countless 2x3's various other peices of lumber, 75ft 12ga wire, 6 light fixtures 8 bulbs, tileboard, 400 deck screws or so, 2 4x8 peices of acrylic cut to size at 100 bucks a sheet, 8 hinges four door knob kits, numerous tubes of caulk, and a partridge in a pair tree. I also have all the lights individually wired to switches at a "control center" with digital thermometers and thermostats to maintain temps automatically, i went all out on it as im not home alot to constantly monitor temps and control them myself so i made it self sustaining, except cleaning, and feeding.
    the new big cage is alot more simple as im laid off work right now and have plenty of time...lol
    that is actuall going to be a nesting cage for my female banded cape whitethroat monitors,and the other one is going to house my males.

12. lacerta

lacerta Member

They look great Scott. In the last photo with the two stacked cages, what is that backsplash material you have lining the bottom back wall and sides of the cage? I assume its some type of waterproofing over the OSB. I normally use 3/4 inch cabinet ply and paint the interior with a 2 part epoxy paint (used for garage floors). It is completely waterproof and holds up surprising well to sharp claws.
    Different subject: Where do you host your pictures at ? I assume this forum does not provide image hosting. I got lots of pictures I would like to share but need to put them someplace that can be linked to ( I think).
    Oh well. Enjoy your posts. Keep the pictures coming.
    George

13. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

tile board

its called tile board, i get it from homedepot for about ten bucks for a 8x4 sheet, its what i use on all my cages and holds up really well. My basement is too enclosed and i build all my cages around the animals therefore i dont like to paint or use any chemicals other than caulk to seal the tileboard. as far as wood i use what ever is the cheapest........lol im on a budget......lol.
    I use www.photobucket.com as a host for all my pictures and love it, they give you alot of free space and then when maxed out i just go throught and delete the old pictures to make room for newer ones. Love to see some pics
    scott
    www.varanusweb.com

14. LanceM

LanceM Embryo

Hey, i'm looking to be building a cage around that size by the end of the year, and i was wondering if anyone has used plexiglass for one? And if so, what's a good thickness for monitors?

15. secretkiwi

secretkiwi New Member

We just recently built one for our black roughneck monitor, the plexiglass we used is a fourth of an inch thick. It works out quite nicely.

16. LanceM

LanceM Embryo

Alright thanks, that's the kind i was looking at yesterday.