New Baby Igauana

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by joezzy_1, Dec 18, 2006.

1. joezzy_1

joezzy_1 New Member

which one is more agressive a male or female

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. brandon2212

brandon2212 New Member

Males tend to be more agressive during mateing season. Females have PMS tho :S... Ive never owned an Ig but I was looking into getting one and did alot of research and to the best of my knowledge males tend to be more agressive.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. joezzy_1

joezzy_1 New Member

yea i know they can get real agressive during mating periods but i have a while to i get to that point

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. EndVision

EndVision New Member

im not so sure it takes a year to properly sex an ig i think its a year before they're sexually mature ie. to go through mating season and such, my iguana is about 8 months old (9 months at tops,estimated since i didnt know the age when i got him) and already i can tell hes a boy...just watch the base of the tale if it starts looking like this...

[​IMG]

...then you have a boy lol alot of people go by the pores but its quite apprent from the bulges that ive got a boy lol and as far as the aggressive part mating season effects different igs differently but yeah males tend to be a tad bit more aggressive at this time then females

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. joezzy_1

joezzy_1 New Member

cool mine hasen't even reach 8 months I really don;t knoe how old but when he gets old enough i am to take him to the vet and hopfully they will tell me

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. EndVision

EndVision New Member

they COULD tell you now but thats only if you wanted to pay to have a blood test done

12. joezzy_1

joezzy_1 New Member

Not to be all up in your biss but how much do they charge for a visit where your at

13. EndVision

EndVision New Member

well for my ig just the office visit alone is 50 plus if he is given any antibiotics but yeah all places are different try calling the nearest one to you they should be able to tell you

14. joezzy_1

joezzy_1 New Member

do you think that Benifields is a good place thats in petsmart

15. sarae

sarae New Member

banfield is awful. they rarely have anyone who will see exotics and on the rare occasion they do, they're hardly qualified to do so.

They're also very expensive.

16. joezzy_1

joezzy_1 New Member

well they have a exotic vet and they charge like 35 dollars so i dont know

17. Saucy

Saucy Well-Known Member

I'd check out www.herpvetconnection.com for a GOOD herp vet. I wouldn't touch Petsmart's vets with a 10-foot pole anymore... bad experience the first time I went there.

18. EndVision

EndVision New Member

check out the website given in that thread above me, petsmart is famous for inferior work...the cheapest isnt always whats in your igs best interest i got my vet off of one of the vet sites on the net...only reason is because alot of those websites the vets are added by people who have used them and can give you an opinion...i found my vet to be very knowledgeable and the staff as well they know how to handle igs so NO to petsmart

19. joezzy_1

joezzy_1 New Member

Thanks alot i will look in to it

20. Nitros_Mommy

Nitros_Mommy Embryo

Yeah def never give it lettuce.. It contains nothing good for your iguana.. I also read that it can cause Thyroid Disease... Always Always get information on reptiles before buying them... I can honestly say they are not cheap and they can be alot of work.. My Iguana developed Metabolic Bone Disease.. I won him at a fair and he had it when i got him.. I wantedt o win him because he was almost dead.. But yeah i did lots of research and he is doing much better.. It's gone but the vet said that it may have stunnted his growth... But Iguana or any kind of Reptiles are lot of work soo good luck...

21. brina6

brina6 New Member

your ig has to get use to you.. my ig has moment where s/he doesnt want to be held... at first y iggs didnt like the shower part but now they are ok with it.. make sure the food is small enough for it to get down.. you might have to help it shed sometimes... if you have any more questions you can always ask the 'guys' in here they helped me through my iggys moments gl