new baby!! just hatched

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by Nimbus, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Nimbus

Nimbus New Member

well it is 3:00am and I was bored so I checked the eggs...one of my babies hatched !! I lend my digital camera to my g/f sooo I dont have good quality I only have webcam but here are the first 2 pics of my baby.....the red thing in the picture is a pen for scale
    sorry for the blurry, better pictures are to come.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. LiLtOkEnQT

LiLtOkEnQT New Member

congrats!!!!! cant wait to see the updated pics!!

Jenn

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. LewsKinslayer0

LewsKinslayer0 Well-Known Member

Congrats.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. pullinapete

pullinapete Member

awesome :D you must be so happy congrats

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Just_Some_Guy

Just_Some_Guy Well-Known Member

thats so cool.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Nimbus

Nimbus New Member

So i have another egg that I would believe will hatch any day now since it was laid at the same time as the first one.... I cant believe how small they are when they are newborn....and how FAST they can boot it right after they hatch...such amazing natural instincts !

12. BigZ3788

BigZ3788 Well-Known Member

very cool

13. LewsKinslayer0

The other one should hatch out soon, but I have read there have been the odd cases of one egg hatching out a month later.

How fats are they when they first come out? They can't be that fast compared to an adult, they are so little.

14. crusty1

crusty1 Member

wow...congrats...hopfully ill be taking those same pictures soon enough lol...what do u haev as an incubator?
    can u post pics of the incubator and explain it so i can get an idea of what to build
    thanks, and congrats, looks like a beaut

15. Nimbus

Nimbus New Member

hey crusty1 here are some pictures oh my incubator and the eggs
    http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d122/cre.../Gecko/Eggs.jpg
    http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d122/cre...ko/aac01db4.jpg
    as you can see I used complicated materials... 1 5$ bag of vermiculite.
    1 tupper ware container (about $0.30 cents) then I used some dihydrogenmonoxide as a solution to pour into the vemiculite untill there was a moist feel to the vermiculite
    so in total....about $1.30 since I didn't use much of the vermiculite

16. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Wow! Thats awesome! I got a hovabator one at home... of course as soon as it came in my leo stopped laying... darn... lol. :?

He/She is adorable!! ^_^ Hehe, are you planning on keeping all of your babies or selling/trading them? .. I think that if mine ever had babies I would want to keep all of them :)

17. Nimbus

Nimbus New Member

Well I think I am going to bring ones of the babies to the herp expo in mississauga on feb 19th... I think it is too young so no one will trade me but I want to try and get a new gecko so I wont have to inbreed. O ther than that I think I am going to try and sell them off.... I mean I have 6 eggs in total so there will always be more : )

18. crusty1

crusty1 Member

nice man, well congrats...
    do u have to maintain humidity in the incubator? how?
    how did u take the eggs from the humid hide to the incubator?
    sorry about all the questions, i am prolly gonna breed soon, and just want more and more info, iv read alot, but i like the first hand information from breeders that i know and talk to lol
    thanks again

19. LewsKinslayer0

Yes you have to keep the humidity up. The easiest way is to put the tupperware lid on with a few holes poked into it. Take the eggs out by hand and place them in the incubator with the same side up. This is very important as if you rotate reptile eggs you will drown and kill the embryo. Now only about 6 more weeks for our first clutch to hatch.

20. crusty1

crusty1 Member

so throughout the whole time the eggs are in the incubator, u dont have to mist them? just tuperware lid with holes, and the vermiculter keeps it humid

21. Nimbus

Nimbus New Member

well the whole time the eggs were in the incubator I would open the lid and look at them and touch them and stuff... at night I would hold them to a 5 light LED to see if something was growing in there... jsut be careful with the eggs and as Lews said.... you have to keep them right side up...if you move them a little with in the few 18-24 hours it should be fine , but try not to do it much ...after that time everything will attach and you will kill the embryo.... Iam a nut case and I know I should not touch the eggs so much...but hell I do it anyways becasue I know I am careful, dont do it if you think it might slip....I would mist the eggs/vermiculate from time to time jsut to make sure it is kinda damp. I misted like 3 or 4 times in the 2 months they were incubating....sometimes I would leave the lid off so the air could circulate. Also I like checking on the eggs alot to make sure they are not sickly and moulding

22. LewsKinslayer0

We have ours in a small critter ceeper which alows the air to circulate more however this means you need to mist/water the vermiculate more often. Try not to get standing water on the eggs (misting) as this isn't usually good for reptile eggs since they are soft shelled.

23. field_hockey_gal

field_hockey_gal Well-Known Member

Congrats Nibbus!!
    They look soo small.
    Can't wait to see some other pictures
    :)

24. Nimbus

Nimbus New Member

like I said I will keep you guys updated....Again the camera is not around me so I have the webcam for picture taking , please excuse the quality
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    AND guess what people !! when I got home from school she had already Shed....that is super fast... she was born at 3:am and by 1:30pm the enxt day she had shed....thats less than 12 hours !

25. crusty1

crusty1 Member

wowzers, gettn right to it eh lol
    MAN,..looks so small compaired to that penny