new baby or a few months?

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by rosevt, Feb 28, 2005.

1. rosevt

rosevt New Member

i'm thinking of ordering a sulcata baby online, but i dont know wheather it would be better (for his/her health & for getting used to me) whether i should get the few day old hatchlings or the ones a few months old, or does it make a difference?
    thanx

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

depends on how far it will be shipped. how far do you live from the shipping point?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. rosevt

rosevt New Member

i'm not sure yet, im gonna try to at least get one from a place on the east coast w/ overnight shipping. (i live in GA)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I don't think it would matter what age you chose with regards to them getting used to you. I think shipping would be the biggest issue (money wise especially). Not to pick on you or anything, but you are aware of how big sulcatas get right? Just checking before you get something you weren't expecting - lol. I think I would get an older animal only because there's less of a chance that they are sickly or not eating good. Older animals should be more dependable healthwise. If you find a breeder, it wouldn't be a bad idea to post that breeder's name here to see if anyone has any experience with them, just in case they have a bad rep or something, so you're more likely to get a healthy animal.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. rosevt

rosevt New Member

thanx for the feedback. yes, i have done a lot of reading on sulcatas one really good site was http://www.sulcata-station.org for anyone else considering them. I have thought about how big he/she will get and even thought about how i will deal with an animal so big and one that lives so long. By the time that he/she is big enough to need to stay outside and roam most of the time i'll be living in south Texas with a big back yard. One breeder i have been talking to is Deborah Duckworth out of VA (i cant seem to find her website right now) another breeders/site was reptile depot. Any other good known ones that anyone knows of please list, i haven't found the perfect baby yet! thanx for all the help!