New Beardie Owner..Some Questions...some pics too!!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by brandonbb89, Jul 27, 2005.

1. brandonbb89

brandonbb89 New Member

it says ESU Reptile Desert 7%UVB

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. kephy

kephy Moderator

Yep, that's a bad one. :| Sorry to bare the bad news.

Check out the readings compared to the ReptiSun 5.0, which is currently the lowest on the totem pole of what an acceptable bulb should do.

From the day a UVB bulb is put in use, it's output steadily decreases. That is why it is recommend you replace fluorescent bulbs ever 6 months. Notice how a 3 month old ReptiSun 5.0 is still putting out twice as much as the brand new ESU 7%? That's not good. Considering actual sunlight on a clear day typically puts out in the range of 200-450, depending on time of year, elevation, how near you are to the equator, etc, you can see that even the ReptiSun 5.0 is pretty low compared to what reptiles in the wild would be getting. That's why we have to supplement with D3 when we use that bulb, because it still isn't putting out quite enough UVB for them to produce enough D3 on their own. Like I said it's on the low end of the spectrum of what is acceptable, anything less and you might as well not have a UVB bulb at all.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. brandonbb89

brandonbb89 New Member

I have a question??

My dragon is mostly in the basking area. Does anyone think it will move around more and go to the cooling area. He gets hot sometimes because his mouth is open. I shut of the lamp and it closes.

Could any one give me info thanx.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. liza714

liza714 Member

Beardies selfregulate their temps by gaping. It is normal and if he got really hot he would move. So leave the light on.

Take the bulb back to Petco and demand either a refund or an exchange. They gave you bad advice and you should call them on it. Everyone here gave you good advice so with that and the caresheets you should be fine.

Did you pick up a digital thermometer yet? I might have missed that in other parts of the thread.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. armywife

armywife New Member

I would not shut off the heat lamp if he is getting too hot. Beardies will move to a cooler spot when they get too hot, even though they are lazy. But, one problem is you have a 10 gallon tank which is not large enough for the temps to be different. You may think you have a cool spot but since the enclosure is so small the cool spot is right by the basking spot. When my beardies gape I drop some water in their mouth so they stay hydrated. Also make sure to keep you beardie well hydrated by misting 2-3 times a day and soaking in the bath or sink 1-2 times a week, more if you are in a dry climate.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. brandonbb89

brandonbb89 New Member

i have a thermometer that sticks to the cage. The thermometer is in the normal temp spot. The temp stays 80-85 degrees there. At night my the temp drops from 75-80 degrees. ( my house is hot )

Should i put a thermometer were the heat lamp is?

thanx

12. kephy

kephy Moderator

Are you measuring the temps with a digital thermometer or temp gun? Most of the guages sold in pet stores are about as useless as that ESU 7% bulb. If your dragon is gaping, he is too hot. It's normal, and if they get really too hot they will move. But you need to make sure you are accurately measuring the temps with a reliable device, because if the basking spot is too hot or cold, the rest of the tank will be, too.

13. liza714

liza714 Member

You REALLY need a digital thermometer as the ones that stick to the cage can be off by 10 degrees. You can get one in the garden center at a kmart or walmart for $15.

EDIT: Amanda stop typing what I am think dammit!! LOL

14. brandonbb89

brandonbb89 New Member

well the thermometer is a dial. I keep it in the middle of my 10 gallon tank. It is stuck to the wall. It was like 6.00$

I hope you can answer more now.

15. kephy

kephy Moderator

You should throw it in the trash, that's my answer. Or take it back to Petco with the bulb and receipt and ask for your money back.

That thermometer can be off by as much as 20 degrees. A 20 degree difference can cause serious problems. You need something accurate. Go buy a digital thermometer with a probe at walmart for $15, and put the probe directly on your basking spot. It should read betwee 105-115F at the hottest spot. The ambient should be 80-85F in the cool area.

Any more questions you haven't had answered? I'm trying, but maybe I missed one or two. :p

16. brandonbb89

brandonbb89 New Member

ya....my dragon eats normal but doesnt move much unless its chasing a kricket. Will it move more when it gets used to its home or is my dragon just stressed. Or are dragons just liike that?

Thanx

17. kephy

kephy Moderator

Yeah, he's new in his home and probably still stressed. It usually takes a week or so for them to get settled. Good heat, light, and UVB can increase their activity as well. If the heat is too low or too high and it can effect his activity and appetite, which is why it's important to get a better thermometer. But right now I'm thinking a lot of it is just stress from the move. :)

18. brandonbb89

brandonbb89 New Member

how long should i wait to feed my dragon when i wake up. I mean...like when i put the lights on. Like how long until he warms up. My book says dragons have to be warm to eat.......is that true

thanx

19. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

The first thing you should do is put some salad in there. You can do this as early as you'd like since your beardie will eat that when he wants to throughout the day. Even if you don't see him eating the salad make sure you have it avaialable all day anyway. After about 2 hours of the lights being on you can go ahead and give him his first feeding. Feed him as many dusted, gutloaded crickets no bigger than the space between his eyes he will eat in about 10 minutes. You can feed him longer than 10 minutes but he'll probably be full by then.

Feed him in a separate tank than the one he lives in. If you leave any uneaten crickets in his home they can get hungry or thirsty and chew on your beardie while he's sleeping. You don't want that!! Feed him 2-3 times a day if you can. Once is adequate but really twice would be better.

Yes they do need to be warmed up before they are able to digest their food so also remember you have to give the last feeding of the day at least two hours before the lights go out or your beardie may have undigested food in it's stomach while sleeping and it can give him a tummy ache. :)

20. brandonbb89

brandonbb89 New Member

Is it ok to handle my dragon daily..........will it get streesed out

thanx

21. kephy

kephy Moderator

Right now while he's still adjusting to his home, it's best to handle him as little as possible. When he starts to get more comfortable, eating better, active, etc.... then you can start handling him more often and shouldn't have a problem.

22. brandonbb89

brandonbb89 New Member

ok thanx.........do you know were i can find a dragon breeder in Connnecticut. My friend wants one.

thanx

23. brandonbb89

brandonbb89 New Member

could any one tell me how to post pictures

24. brandonbb89

brandonbb89 New Member

could someone please reply i want to show you my setup for my dragons home.

( i would just like to know how to put digital pics on. The pics are already in my computer)

Thanx for who ever replies

25. kephy

kephy Moderator

Ok, go to http://tinypic.com/ and browse until you pull up your picture. Then you want to copy and paste the IMG line of code into here. Please make sure your pictures are smaller than 640 x 480 pixels. If they are not, copy and paste the LINK line of code instead.