New Beardie Owner..Some Questions...some pics too!!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by brandonbb89, Jul 27, 2005.

1. brandonbb89

brandonbb89 New Member

I have 2 questions. Fist I ask again what gutloading crickets is. And i also would like to know about my cage size. I have a 10 gallon tank right now. My beardie is 5 inches long. How much longer could i keep my 10 gallon tank. And when he out grows his tank how many gallons should i then get then?

Thanx

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. skeptik

skeptik New Member

one more reason i will not buy living things from petco or petsmart :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

Did you miss Blinga's post explaining what gutloading is? It's just a fancy term describing how you feed good nutritious food to the cricket so that the stuff can be passed onto your beardie. It's at the bottom of page 4 of this thread.

Your baby will be growing out of the 10 gallon in a few weeks. Eventually, you're going to need a 65 gallon long or so - he'll need a minimum of 6 square feet of floor space - bigger the better.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. CODY

CODY Member

Wideglide, that sight you gave for vets really worked for me, I found a vet that deals with exotics, thanks a million!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. CODY

CODY Member

Wideglide, that sight you gave for vets really worked for me, I found a vet that deals with exotics, thanks a million!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. brandonbb89

brandonbb89 New Member

Does anyone know what the white stuff in my baby dragon's poo?

Thanx

12. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

if it's the white chalky stuff stuck on to the poo, it's the urates - or beardie pee.

13. jo_edwards

jo_edwards New Member

i gutload my locusts with fresh greens twice a day, bits of potato and carrot, bran and oat mix and anything else i can find really. They like grass. But i'm not sure about gutloading crickets but there are some good recipes for a home made gut-load about

14. Mook

Mook Embryo

hey, im new 2 this forum and im not sayin im an expert but i say dont worry bout all the ppl sayin u have to feed him around 30 crikets or wateva, cause i didnt and my 2 guys grew up v healthy. i fed them about 6 a day to start with, and there fine. the main reason is that hear in australia u cant get mail order crickets, theres only i company that sells them and they charge bout AU$8 for bout 30. um ye, thats wat i hav to say.

and if theres any special stuff i need 2 kno bout the chatroom do tell cause this is my 1st time

cheers

15. Mook

Mook Embryo

Sorry about the last message with chatword or what ever you guys call it, i hadnt read the rules yet.

Mook

16. kephy

kephy Moderator

In four years of researching these animals this goes against everything I've learned about how to raise babies properly. Usually if you feed a baby like this it ends up malnurished and stunted.

Can you tell us, how old are your dragons now, how long are they (from nose to tail), and how much do they weigh?

17. rachelsv650

rachelsv650 New Member

if you little guy is still a baby...anything under 10 inches, don't put him in a huge enclosure yet, espessialy if you just got him, he will be to scared and unable to hunt for crix in such a big place. keep the tank simple for now and when he's older move him to the big one.

18. mthorpe

mthorpe Well-Known Member

How old are your dragons?
    How long are they nose to tip of tail?
    How much do they weigh?
    What is your substrate?
    What is your UVB tube? make/model?

btw, please dont write in that slang or whatever its called... hard to understand...

19. Mook

Mook Embryo

My guys are about 2 yrs old, and i measured them today, they're both around 45cm long, and they both weigh 400g each. i use some desert sand personally shipped in from Alice Springs which is here Inland Beardies can be found naturally. i also use a reptisun 5.0, i think but i changes it not long ago to a 'ESU Reptile Desert 7%UV', are these good? And as far as the feeding goes i just think that feeding them as much as some of you say you should is a bit much as when i went to Australias Centre you dont really see that many crickets or other bugs hopping around the place, so if they have thrived in the wild as they have for the amount of time they have without eating 3o crickets a day, i just thought it would be ok for them.

Mook.

20. clarinet45

clarinet45 Well-Known Member

the ESU's are crap, pretty sure Kephy told me so, and you should go back to the Repti-sun 5.0 or 10.0s. 45cm (about 20"??) is a good size and so is 400 (my 5mo female is 250g)
    -Sara

21. brandonbb89

brandonbb89 New Member

does anyone know what the white stuff in my beardies poo is??

22. clarinet45

clarinet45 Well-Known Member

It is the equivalent of the beardie 'pee', it is the urate and i'm not sure after that. It might represent the digested calcium or phospurphous, not sure.