New Beardie Owner W/pics!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by GeckoXP, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Drache613

Drache613 Well-Known Member

Hello

Hello,

Oh you aren't driving us nuts!! :D We are concerned right there with you.
    So, he didn't eat much yet today?
    Yes, he should hopefully pick up his eating now with everything starting to calm down. You have an excellent light now, & as soon as you get your feeding routine down, he will be better.
    Make sure you try to feed him live feeders at least 2 times per day, leaving salad out for him at all times during the daytime.
    Also make sure that he has had at least 2 hours to digest his last meal prior to lights out so he can fully digest his food before sleepytime. :D
    He should start eating at least 30-50 or more crickets per day, & hopefully up to 75 during the day!
    Keep us updated. Thanks!

Tracie

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. GeckoXP

GeckoXP New Member

TGIF...so day at work today...if interested here is my feeding schedule..

I replenish the greens and give crickets in the morning as well as offer water...I currenty handle the little one really only around the times where I give it a bath or water. Afterwards when I place my hand down it turns around and tries to crawl back up my arm...always a good sign since it looks like it getting attached...but as you can see I limit handling.

When I arrive back home I offer it more cricks as well as some water again. this happens around 7ish or so. About another hour or 2 later I will bath and dry him and then take out the greens left in the cage and prep for the morning. I offer water again before the lights go out around 10-11 at night and it goes right down to sleep.

I am looking around for an overhead handing light post so that its not clamped when I have the screen off and resting on the screen when on. It looks like zoomed has some as well as another place online. Saw a couple on ebay for like $6 too.

All in all the little fella is alert and seemingly happy...but of course I dont have the bobbing of the head or hand wave down in dragon ( :? Sorry corny :wink: )

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. GeckoXP

GeckoXP New Member

Small update -

Here is a new pic of my updated little beardie home

[​IMG]

A new pic of the little thing itself...sorry pic looks a tad green...

[​IMG]

You can see I made some changes. With my old stick in the cage the little thing didnt want to climb up it at all but with the new one it has no problems. You can see my new light that arrived and the top opened up during the day...at least when I am home or at work with the door closed so the cats can not get in...which tends to be most of the time. I purchased an over the tank lighting holder and my temps in the basking spot are right at 109 degrees.

Feeding is still an issue but there is a set schedule for lighting 8am-10pm, feeding 9am and ~7pm and bathing ~8:30pm.

If anything comes out of this...maybe this will be a nice guide for a new beardie owner to follow as they can see what is involved and the trials and tributes of being a new owner.

I won't update as much as I have been unless something comes up but I will keep this post updated every week at least. :D

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Daggerlover

Daggerlover Well-Known Member

That looks fabulous overall. Good job - you're doing an excellent job so far!! What a cutie lil beardie!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. GeckoXP

GeckoXP New Member

I know this is going to sound extreme but the little guy was returned to petco. I did this for a few reasons...

1. being that it wasn't doing so well and I was a bit over my head in regards to getting such a small one as my first beardie.

2. After reading further about the adenovirus and the fact that no one could answer where the beardies truly came from after I went back I felt very uncomfortable keeping the little one around with some of my other reptiles. I was very careful not to mix anything together. I could of had the fella tested out but all in all I felt it was best to return it.

3. I went to a local reptile breeder that specializes in beardies as well as others. I did my own research before I purchased on the person and contacted local vets to make sure all was right and everything checked out ok. I should have done this from the beginning but didn't :?

I washed everything out very good and let it completely dry before putting my new beardie in the cage.

I highly advise anyone to go through a professional breeder that knows what they are talking about and there animals tested and established. This will save a lot of headache and possible heartache later on. I will try and post pics soon of the new "little guy". Right now he had about 20-30 cricks tonight plus some veggies during the day. Very active and seemingly happy because the colors are staying brighter instead of darker. I will try tomorrow to feed it out of the cage in a seperate feeding setup...from the looks of it I don't believe I will have any trouble. :D

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Segue

Segue New Member

I know this was a difficult desicion Gecko, but I know you thought long and hard over it! Sounds like you got a healthy HUNGRY replacement. Pics soon please :D and what's his/her name?

I should hear back from my vet concerning Elmer today--he was not a happy camper going to the vet yesterday--but he still managed to eat 30 crix for dinner...isn't it great when they eat!

Keep us up to date on the new youngin'

12. Daggerlover

Well, it's important you know what you got into. I'm glad you did what was best - we try to never recommend buying from a petstore for this exact reason. Good for you. You must post pics soon! :D

13. GeckoXP

GeckoXP New Member

Alright...here you go by popular demand...my "new" Little guy! Oh yah and if anyone can think of a name this time that would be great. :shock:

According to Segue I should go with something seasonal....Bumpkin perhaps? :roll:

[​IMG]
    Look Dad...I ate, I'm full, I soaked...and now I'm all dry! Smile :)

By going to a local breeder there is a huge difference in personality of the animal, eating, behavior...you name it. The image doesnt do glory for it but its still an ok pic. You can see that he/she is kinda yellowish and about to go through a partial shed around tail.

He/she is very alert, eats about 30 cricks every evening...veggies left out all day which are eatin...not all but some. When I get home the little ones very attentive and will get lighter in coloration when I pick it up. So far it will only eat in the cage but thats fine as long as it keep eating the cricks up! I hate putting it back in because it tries to grab back onto my hand for some more attention...I think we have a real loving one on our hands here :)

14. Segue

Segue New Member

Yay!!!!! S/He is so gorgeous! What a little attitude--and I'm also sensing maybe a bit of a "ham"--he seems to love the camera!

15. Daggerlover

Wow - he's GORGEOUS. I'd think of a name like Cyrus, myself, because somehow that reminds me of citrus fruits which reminds me of lemon/lime, and that's kinda what he looks like to me (his colors)! Keep us updated!

16. Segue

Segue New Member

I vote for Eastwood too: "Are you talkin' to me?"
    8)

17. beezneez

beezneez Member

nice new guy about how long is he?

18. GeckoXP

GeckoXP New Member

Good Q...I had the chance to measure "Jr" (Yes I know real original here but it looks like that will be his/her name)...anyways Jr measures about 6" right now, slightly over 6" actually. I couldnt get used to saying eastwood but I tried.

I am hoping that Jr turns out to be a male...just because right now I am living with almost 8 or 9 now. 3 female cats, 1 AFT and Leo that are female, possibly 3 cresties that are female as well and well my Gf that puts up with it all. She has her cats and well I have my reptiles :lol:

No weight yet as I will get a gram scale this weekend...someplace :?

19. kephy

kephy Moderator

Wow, only 6 inches and yet he looks bigger than that! Nice round belly and thicker arms already.

Breeder dragons really are a world away from petstore dragons. You have to see it with your own eyes to believe it. I think a lot of people when they get a baby at Petsmart or Petco think that's how they are supposed to look. If they only knew, huh?

20. Segue

Segue New Member

I know that the petco that's near me had their babies all in this tiny enclosure with a giant bowl of water and this other bowl FULL of mealworms--it's no wonder they are all runts. Not to mention when I went back about 3 days later, there were NONE left (this is out of about 30!)...I seriously doubt they sold that many in 3 days....

Gecko, it sounds like you are one out-numbered dude :D We're the opposite here--it's me and my daughter vs 4 male dogs, 2 male cats, 2 male reptiles and a male horse.... :lol:

21. GeckoXP

GeckoXP New Member

If the petstore does what they do over here then hopefully they were moved to another store. I know this holds true with the Petco out here in that one store ran out of beardies but the other had a few so they shipped them over. Bottom line with this is that I should of just went originally with the local breeder then Petco. I paid the same amount 59.99 but as you can see...way better quality.

Seque...it sounds like you have your hands full over there, horse and all! I need to even out the matters over here but I don't want to get rid of animals and I sure don't need any more. My beardie has proven already to take much attention.

22. Segue

Segue New Member

So true--I also own a Boarding Kennel and usually have 20 or so dogs and 10 or so cats here at any given moment...I am a proffessional poop-scooper! Beardies seem to thrive on the attention, and I'm sure Jr. will try to get all he can from you and your GF :lol:

Oh--Try Bed Bath and Beyond or a kitchen store for a gram scale!

23. Fearl3ss465

Fearl3ss465 Member

Do you have sand in your tank? I would reccomend doing away with it until he is older fi you wish. There are so many hazzards a baby of that size could have. Impaction being oen of the major issues. If you are looking for a alternative look at my post I just posted on a new discovery I found with just puppy pads.

24. GeckoXP

GeckoXP New Member

Not to jump on this or anything...but did you take a look at the pics I posted on my cage setup? Did you read the info I wrote about it? The biggest pet peeve I have around here is people jump on other people for the whole Sand/ carpet/tile issue. No I dont have sand in my tank, I have inside/outdoor carpet. I tried tile...they start to smell after a day or so...I tried reptile carpet...way to expensive as well as its a pain unfolding it...so I bought a large thing of carpeting at Lowes and cut it to size and so far that is the winner over everything else I have tried (and its reusable).

I am just curious as to how you came to conclusion or the question as to if I had sand or not? Glad to see that puppy pads work for you and now may for some others looking for an alternative too :(