New Beardie

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by JJ., Nov 11, 2012.

1. JJ.

JJ. New Member

Just picked up my new beardie last night. I believe he is about 4 months old. Can he eat superworms at this age? I have crickets and greens and prepared food for him, but just wondered about superworms. I will post a picture when as soon as I can. Thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JJ.

JJ. New Member

[​IMG]

JEFFREH likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Congrats on the new addition! He's very cute = )

I would hold off on the superworms for a bit longer; he still looks a little small for them and I would prefer to err on the site of caution for his safety. Typically dragons can start to handle superworms when they reach sub-adulthood... which can vary substantially between individuals depending on the dragon's genetics and previous care.

Keep up with the crickets as a primary staple now - he'll enjoy the hunt better anyway while he's still youthful. Give him a few more months before offering superworms for some variety in the diet. If you are looking for more insect options during this time, soldier fly larvae (phoenix worms/calci-worms), silkworms, and feeder roaches all make for great staple feeders in addition to the crickets you have.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

oh my goodness, he's got such a big tubby belly! Too cute :) Congrats on your new little guy!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. lisa owens

lisa owens Well-Known Member

he looks great

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JJ.

JJ. New Member

Few quick question for anybody that can answer 1. When I offer him crickets with calcium he'll just look it over but crickets with out it he will eat those quick is there a reason? or just chance?
    2. He's really lazy he won't really chase anything and to get him to eat crickets they have to be put right in front of him and he will only eat hand fed greens. Is this because he's lazy or is there something up?

12. lisa owens

lisa owens Well-Known Member

try putting the crickets with their legs took off in his salad dish or try doing it with phoenix worms yoshi loves them of coarse he is not eating anything right now he is in burmantion thank i spelled that wrong lol

13. JJ.

JJ. New Member

ok thanks will try that

14. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

He's a little young to start getting picky, but he may be. If you really load the crickets up with calcium or perhaps use a formula that has a less than satisfying taste, he may know the difference and may be choosing his prey items carefully. You might consider dusting more lightly. What brand and type of calcium are you using?

Laziness could be a sign of brumation, illness, or simply...laziness. Beardies are pretty smart and if they know you will be offering food every day and are providing unique choices they may start to get picky and lazy. This happened to me when I switched to silkworms - because they are slow moving and delicious my beardie would just sit there and ignore all other food items unless it was a silkworm. Later on it got to where he wouldn't even touch the silkworms unless I placed them within a couple of inches of him.

To combat laziness you'll need to employ tough love. Feed salads daily and only don't cave in. If it is a calcium dusted feeding, only feed calcium dusted crickets or he doesn't get fed - plain and simple. He will eventually get hungry enough to start hunting again and will eat whatever you throw at him just as he should with some time. Once you've got him eating insects regularly and once he's grown a bit more and is well established, you can employ tough love methods on feeding salad only to encourage salad eating if no other methods seem to be working.

Naturally, you'll want to continue to monitor his behavior. If he continues to act lethargic and does not feed or bask at all consider possibilities of infection (or brumation, but we want to rule out the prior to be safe).

15. JJ.

JJ. New Member

He doesn't look sick and he bask's normally so i am just assuming that he's lazy nothing looks wrong with him

But i'll take your advice on making him hunt