New Black and White Tegu It Is 11" And 1.6 oz sugestion

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by totallytegu_, May 15, 2007.

1. totallytegu_

totallytegu_ New Member

I have a new black and white tegu about 11" and 1.6 oz last I weighed him I would like to now everything possible and yes i now the size i am planning on building a 6'-8' long by 3'-4' wide and tall. Thanks for your comments.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. totallytegu_

totallytegu_ New Member

I forgot i have been feeding him crickets, romane lettuce, carrots, bananas, hard boild eggs, and I just gave him strawberries, mangos, and a fuzzy just a minute ago. He is in aspen chip bedding but i don't like that and would like to get away from that plus i would like someone to post there cage designs.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. vmartino

vmartino Embryo

regular top soil is good and as far as cages, a heavy duty mesh cage with a wood frame and a solid floor like wood. also a see thru plastic covering around 3 sides and the top will help keep humidity up better than an open cage

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. wingnut

wingnut New Member

Check out www.thetegu.com

You'll find all the info you are looking for, including the cage pics/plans.

I am getting an Argentine Black & White Tegu this summer (once he hatches :) )

I'm still working out my cage designs, I'll post pics once I actually get started.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. totallytegu_

totallytegu_ New Member

Thanks just one more question where would you go to get that top soil. I mean would micle grow work and do they need to be able to burrow I have a non adhesive liner.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. PitsNherps

PitsNherps Well-Known Member

No mircale grow has chemicals.
    You need 100% organic potting soil or top soil unfertilized.
    You can buy it at home depot,home wardware,totem,lowes,check walmart,costco

12. Ameivaboy

Ameivaboy New Member

Most tegu keepers use cypress mulch for substrate but if you live where there is no cypress available redwood mulch will work too.

anywho heres my colombians cage, i shall begin my argentines new cage with in a week or so as well.

this cage is 6.5 x 2.5 x 2.5

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. totallytegu_

totallytegu_ New Member

Thanks I did get some miricle grow but it was the organic mix and the only one i could find. The pics of the cage are nice and I am planning to build one that on the stand it will be 5 ft tall, 8 ft long and 4 ft wide but the cage itself will only be 3 ft tall. Thanks again and I do have another question. I heard that you can feed them wet dog and cat food is this true.

14. totallytegu_

totallytegu_ New Member

I forgot he did not eat the fuzzy he just crushed the head and dragged it around the cage. I am wondering if the reason is that it was a frozen or do you think it was to big for an 11 inch, 45 gram, 1.6 oz lizard. Thanks for everything.

15. Ameivaboy

Ameivaboy New Member

they will eat dog and cat food, but should you feed it to them...

NOPE
    stick to a natural diet, ceratin dyes in dog and cat food can be harmful (i.e. red dye #40) plus it isnt designed for reptilian consumption (even the zoomed monitor/tegu diet is crap in a can and should be avoided)

I have seen monitors and tegus toss around mice and not consume them whether they kill it themselves or it was prekilled, I dont have an explanation for it but it happens,if it doesnt eat it try a different food item and try again the next day

16. totallytegu_

totallytegu_ New Member

Al right thankyou for the info. Is it common for a young tegu to eat a big meal and not eat for 2-3 days. I have another question how do you get only 100kb's out of a picture. I tried everything and i have pics i would like to post and i can't. He also does not seem to like meal worms. It would also be helpful for a list of fruit and veggies that they eat.

17. totallytegu_

totallytegu_ New Member

Also is it ok for them to have a heat rock????????

thanks for the help and patience.

18. totallytegu_

totallytegu_ New Member

19. totallytegu_

totallytegu_ New Member

sry never mind but there in the gallery

20. Ameivaboy

Ameivaboy New Member

Nope heat rocks are garbage

I tried to view the link and got this message

so i dunno post the pix right in here

21. Ameivaboy

Ameivaboy New Member

oops i missed this post

If it's full it wont eat for a couple days until it's digested the meal (make sure your basking temps are correct)

as far as mealowrms go, tegu will definatly have preferences, still offer them to him though the more variety you get him eating the better. I remember when my colombian wouldnt touch roaches at all then one day just decided she liked them and now loves them. So if something doesnt work now doesnt mean it wont work later

you have a colombian tegu right? if so dont even worry about fruit and veggies too much. My colombian has only eaten fruit once on her own and that was a single blueberry. Occasionally you can mix things like grape,mango,strawberry etc into ground turkey so they get a little bit, but that doesnt always work, best bet is to gutload your insects really well with fruits and veggies before feeding them off, I only use turkey mixed w/ fruit on rare occasions or if im out of better food because ground turkey is crap nutritionally even with calci/vit powder mixed in

as far as the pictures go why not just upload them onto photobucket and drop the [​IMG]

22. totallytegu_

totallytegu_ New Member

thanks ameivaboy i did up load three pics to the image gallery but the link i provided did not work thats why the sry post is there. as for fruit it looks like he ate some kiwi last night.