New blackthroat owner

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by Sobe, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Sobe

Sobe New Member

My wife and I just recieved our first monitor today. We went with the black throat after much study and consideration. First thing we did when it arrived was rush it to our herp vet for a major inspection and the visual inspections were good and we havent heard on the fecals or the blood tests yet but will be contacted tomorrow on that as it was late in the day when we went in. The monitor has a few scars and a few missing scales on its tail but the vet said they were all well healed old injuries. Ps. it is a 30 inch wild caught that I bought off of one of the herp classifieds. It was suppose to have been treated with Pancur a couple times but who knows. Vet said we will get the results and go from there. Monitor hasn't tried to bite as of yet but has a tail whip that is already equal to that of my 2 adult iguanas. Oh probably should say we are new to monitors not to herps, are 2 iguanas (both females) we have had for over 10 years now, and we also have 3 beardies of various ages.
    Right now the monitor is in a temporary cage that is 6ft x 3 ft x 3ft. The basking spot is reading 135 with my temp gun. This will be its home for about 2 months. A friend of mine who is a cabnet maker is building a cage for the monitor, the specs 10x6x 4. Will keep you posted.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

cage sounds great, and sounds like its getting even better!! kudos.
    as for the panacure, i have had a couple imports and have never needed to treat my animals with panacure and flagyl. If your basking spot is hot enough, and you keep the cage clean on a regular basis, the animal controls, and sometimes cures itself of the infection, if it has one. I have a blackthroat for two years now, and he of course was a fresh import, he has been kept under the right conditions and his fecals come back clean. I would never treat an animal for parasites etc unless it is showing signs that the infestation is to the point where its causing the animal any duress. which rarely ever happens under the correct conditions, i.e correct temps, clean cages, proper diet.
    there hasnt been enough testing with these drugs for my comfort to say that they are perfectly safe and have no ill effects on my animals, the ones that i have had that were treated along the lines, just didnt seem as healthy and vigourous as the ones that have not been treated.
    just my $.02 though.
    best of luck, and welcome to monitors, they are great, PM me and i'll invite you to my photo hosting site to see all my albig pictures.
    scottM