New Blood/ R.I.?

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by BenRobbins, Dec 28, 2009.

1. BenRobbins

BenRobbins New Member

I just got a new blood python saturday. I examined him thoroughly yesterday again and noticed a small amount of foam in his mouth as well as a small amount of mucus in his nose. It is just a hatchling. No wheezing or popping. He has eaten very well.
    I have heard that baby bloods can exhibit r.I. like symptoms during shipping and set-up only to disappear within a week or two. Is this a fact? I would take him to the vet but my wife went into labor this morning 3 weeks early. I have to deal with MY baby first. Should I be concerned? All opinions are appreciated.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. BenRobbins

BenRobbins New Member

come on guys, i know someone must have some info on python respiratory infections.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Welcome to the forums Benzo, I'm sorry to hear about your new addition. I don't know much about Bloods myself nor do I have much personal experience with RI's, hopefully someone can help you out soon. I'm in the process of sending you a message that may be beneficial...it's the best I've got

PM sent.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Belletair

Belletair New Member

R.I.'s suck, I know. Some of my guys have gotten them in the past, and they're just plain annoying.

I've not heard of that happening with a snake through shipping (I mean not heard of it being a temporary/not real thing), so I honestly can't comment on that.

Usually though, if you raise the temps in the cage by a few degrees a mild R.I. will go away on its own. Mild is what it sounds like he's got right now (it does sound like a R.I., but I can't be 100% sure over the Internet), so try raising the overall temps by three or four degrees.

Now for the record, I've had no first hand experience with a blood python, so if someone with more experience with this species is out there please chime in.

I've helped a couple of balls and a boa get better who have had a R.I., so I'm going on what worked with them.

Hope he gets better soon man.