New Corn Snake has an issue

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by supernova, Aug 28, 2012.

1. supernova

supernova Member

I just picked up my first corn, she is 7 years old and puppy dog tame. The only issue is small bumps under her skin, Not in line with her spine like a spinal kink but spread down her back. They don't seem to bother her or her movement. The previous owner said they started showing up a week ago.

I was fortunate to get the entire enclosure set-up so i ran a test on temps the way they had it set with no thermostat and a 150w red bulb, It got up to 115 degrees (yikes) on the hot and 90 on the cool so I was thinking heat may have caused this???. I am making an appointment with the vet but was wondering if anyone else has ever seen this. They feel like water blisters, soft but not movable.

Location of some proven care sheets would be awesome!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Wow, that is HOT HOT HOT! I know snakes and other reptiles can get blisters or abscesses from various improper husbandry practices such as incorrect temps, too much humidity, or unsanitary conditions. Hopefully the vet can assess what they actually are. You'll have to get back to us on diagnosis and treatment. And I also demand pictures of the new kid! =P

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. supernova

supernova Member

SO, Just got home from the vet. The lumps are swelling under the muscle tissue possibly caused by incorrect husbandry. He administered a shot of baytril and sent her home with a good check up but a bit on the skinny side. We will give it a week to see how the bumps do a followup. I'll get some photos after she rests and eats tomorrow. been an eventful day and she is buried in her hide. :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Good to hear all went well and it's nothing life threatening. At least now we know she is in good hands. Hopefully some TLC will get her right on track. =) Soon you will have a whole crew of rescue animals. Speaking of which, how is Gorgie doing?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. supernova

supernova Member

She is huge, about 2 1/2 feet long snout to tail tip. She is super puppy dog tame due to being handled daily. unfortunately her counterpart Therapy had to be re-homed, He was way to aggressive. He is in good hands so it was a good thing as they require a lot of one on one time to properly socialize.

To add, Ruby (the corn snake) ate two mice last nite, I am so used to my pythons grabbing quickly it was a shock to see her just open her mouth slow and start eating them, F/T of course...good thing i didn't give her live, she probably wouldn't know what to do with it. :)

StikyPaws312 and Cammy like this.