new crestie owner :)

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by brad88rx7, May 1, 2006.

1. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

beautiful little one u have there btw :(

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. brad88rx7

brad88rx7 New Member

I could tell when mine ate the babyfood, he ate half a water bottle cap full in one night. :( Mabey he was just really hugry because it was only the second or third day I had him.

Try the rubbing it on his nose like Stikypaws suggested. :D That's what I did.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. FlyingMonkeySith

FlyingMonkeySith Member

yeah, when my beardie was really sick i blended his food and put the paste on his nose...
    i had to do that for weeks.. but he pulled though. hope it works for your crestie. :(

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

Often it will take a few days to a week for them to settle in and start eating...
    Just keep offering the food... they wont starve themselves...

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. dixonfish

dixonfish New Member

well yeah... lol i guess he wouldn't eat that much that it would be very noticeable anyways. For all i know hes eating. But still he doesn't seem as active as you'd think, like i put a medium cricket in his tank 2 days ago and its still up on the mesh ceiling. temp is from 68-78 and humidity is a constant 65. theres fresh water, plenty of room and hiding spots. but he just barely moves...well he goes to diff spots but i never see him runnin around much, unless i take him out he walks around then. i tried putting the babyfood in front of him and rubbin a bit on his nose, he licks it then hes done with it, he just jumps right into the babyfood, i guess i'll have to try CGD. :D

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. dixonfish

dixonfish New Member

(see previous post)

As well i have him on a "dayglo" bulb and a blue "nightglo" at night. Thats ok right? I would assume so by the names of the bulbs alone lol. but hell i've no idea. Whats the diff between a "heatglo" (basking spot lamp) and a "dayglo" Its also in one of those shades that glows at night, the porcelein ones y'know what i mean lol, that all ok?

THANKS
    DIXON

12. FlyingMonkeySith

FlyingMonkeySith Member

You probably shouldn’t leave crickets in there with him. They might hurt him... at least that’s what I’ve heard.

13. dixonfish

dixonfish New Member

yeah i've heard that as well, i wnet back downstairs to take it out this mornin and it was drowned in the water lol. Is it normal to see lil flies that look like fruit flies? theres only one of them...

14. FlyingMonkeySith

FlyingMonkeySith Member

i dont know... i never had fruit flies with my beardie, but it could have someting to do with the babyfood...

15. dixonfish

dixonfish New Member

yeah fair enough lol

16. field_hockey_gal

field_hockey_gal Well-Known Member

The lights, Im not sure about the differnt names (heat, day) but the night one is coloured so they don't see the light. They should be fine as long as the temp does not go above 80*
    As for the crickets, you learn how many they eat and just throw in that many. However, if there are extra ones - don't worry about them. If there is babyfood and water on the ground the crickets will be happy down there and the gecko can sleep up high - Out of the way of the crickets. Beardies can't climb, so they really can't get away from the crickets.
    Fruit flies, don't worry. They don't do any harm. They come for the babyfood I think. I have them all the time in at least one of the enclosures.

17. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

The poor guy's scared... height = safety to a crestie... if he's glued to the top of the encloure, he's not feeling secure (stressful)...

Give him some alone time, to explore and get use to the enclosure, before you start handling him (more stress)...

Just put the food in, and let him be... when you see that he's eating regularly (quantity consumed and stools), and he's out earlier and spending time lower down, then you can start handling...

18. dixonfish

dixonfish New Member

yeah thats what i've been trying to do, but it just doesn't seem like hes eating... :)

19. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

Have you found any stools?

20. FlyingMonkeySith

FlyingMonkeySith Member

try putitng some food on its nose... it will lick it off. thats what i did untill mine started eating on its own.