New Diamond Python Hatchling very nervous

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by Naomi, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Naomi

Naomi New Member

I just bought a 6 month old diamond python yesterday. No idea what gender as its too small to probe comfortably yet. Unfortunately it has pretty much never been handled, so it views any hand approaching as bringer of food and bites a lot. Its also seriously squirmy when handled. I've just had to move it from its travelling lunchbox to its tank (all glass with mesh and plastic roof, around 9.5"x8.5"x5.5") and its new to the kitty litter substrate (it was living on paper towels in a little plastic box at the breeders) and I've given it a hide box above its heat mat so it can bask and feel hidden.

Currently, its snuggled in one corner, looking around from there, and attempts to bite when I handle it. I've raised a Childrens Python before, he's around 2 years old now, happy as a clam, and he was only 2 months old and a bit snappy when I got him. Just looking for suggestions on how often it is ok to handle my new diamond a week, cos I know I have to get it used to handling, but at the same time I don't want to put it under any undue stress.

Am also keeping the cats away from it, as I know from previous experience with my other python that one of 'em views all snakes as potential toys (and has received a serious spray of water in its face for its attempts at bothering my other python). Its been a while, but it just seems that this diamond is much more jumpy than my childrens python was as a hatchling. Is this normal for their breed?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

Yes, as babies Carpets can be very nippy but should calm down. Leave him alone for at least a week, no handling at all, just let him settle in. He will still probably bite when you go to get him, but he needs an adjustment period right now. When you begin handling only do it for very short periods and not every day, he'll come around, it just takes patience. I have a baby IJ who is way snappier than my year old was, she's getting better though, but I really did leave her alone (except for feeding) for a good few weeks and I handle her only a few times a week for a few minutes...she is really calming down now and is mostly bluff...but still likes to bite! Good thing they are still tiny huh?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Naomi

Naomi New Member

Thank you, I was amazed to find out something that tiny wolfs down full grown mice! Diamond's are my fave species, so am very excited to have finally bought one.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

You have to post pics!! I love Diamonds, they are just gorgeous. Maybe someday...

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Naomi

Naomi New Member

Will do, just got a new digital camera, so what better subject to point it at lol.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. mattdlite

mattdlite New Member

wow, u must have spent a nice penny on a diamond, congrats. i hope he calms down for u soon. post pics!