New Forum (For large Boids & Venemous)

Discussion in 'Site Feedback & Questions' started by Snake_God_666, Aug 13, 2006.

1. CornyGuy

CornyGuy Well-Known Member

Janice is right, the Ball Python section is the most popular of all the snake forums. If any snake needs there own foum, it would be BPs.

And in my opininon, the Other Pythons forum was actually intended for the large snakes you are talking about. If those snakes had a whole forum jusr for themselves, not only would it be quite empty, but the Other Pythons, too.
    If too many specific reptiles had forums dedicated to themselves then the RR would be completely full of useless, empty sections. In some cases, you just need to keep it general.

And if Axe were to approve of this suggestion, and the forum would be created, there would be lots of confusion to were the cut-off would be for this "Large Snake" forum. Resulting with the neccessary moving of threads from forum to forum. The Mods around here have enough work as is.

I think we're doing fine with the current forums.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

But this forum is for site suggestions! So feel free to post any more ideas you might have. We're really not ascared of change, I promise :p!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Snake_God_666

Snake_God_666 New Member

yes its so hard to tell if you have one of the 5 species that get larger than 15 feet (rolls eyes) so the other python forum was intended for large snakes? well obviously you have no idea what you are talking about becuase there are 26 species of pythons and you have here a forum for ball pythons and then a forum for 25 other species (this seems really fair) I don't exactly think that ball pythons shouldnt have their own forum but i stated that to make my point. And to you jay hay the fact that you do only have lizards and there are forums for every type of lizard i see listed on your signature therefore you have the forums you need...... Ask the people that have large snakes they will agree with me

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. CornyGuy

Though, of the 26 species of python, not all of them are kept (or at least popularly) in captivity. And it actually is fair because the majority of Python keepers have Ball Pythons, so I beleive they deserve there own section.

But there is really no point to this argument, at the end it's up to the administrator.

*Edit- I looked at the Other Pythons Forum and counted up the topics for different species... Out of the 50 topics I saw on the first page, 31 were about specific snakes (The others were more general).

4 topics were Carpet Pythons

15 large Pythons (Burms, Retics, etc.)

2 Blood Pythons

2 arboreal Pythons

5 small Pythons

As I suspected, the majority of the topics were related to large Pythons. So another whole forum, as I said, would be pointless. So all of your subjects you wish to discuss related to your snakes, can be just as well discussed in the current forums.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Snake_God_666

Snake_God_666 New Member

yep its real fair to have more forums about geckos than pythons... and if there is no point in this argument then why are you posting?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Snake_God_666

Snake_God_666 New Member

It's obvious the only people that would want this would be the people with the large snakes and by the way you all talk i highly doubt any of you have a large breed of snake. so I ask myself why shoulp people that don't have big snakes be able to decide this? do people in Africa get to vote in Americas presidential election?????? NO

12. LewsKinslayer0

LewsKinslayer0 Well-Known Member

I'll wade in here. I think the new areas would be nice. However the use is what will decide this.

Now as for the venomous. It would be great to have a forum for themselves. However there are only a couple people that own them on the forum and most are new users. It would be nice but not neccessary in my opinion.

As for the large boids. This actually is a good idea. I don't own any but always pop into the Other pythons forum. Mainly because I am wanting to get carpets in the future. To find infromation on carpets and other medium/small sized pythons as Corny Guy pointed out with his count I have to wade through pages to get a couple posts. Having a section dedicated to large boids would actually keep it somewhat cleaner in there. Husbandry as I have been learning by reading the posts on large boids is similar between all the species. And it would not create confusion, if your snake isn't one of the big 4/5 don't bother looking in there. I think if this section were to be taken you would have to decide when the cut off for big would start. Obviously the big 4, but you can also add the ones close in size and not quite as popular such as olives, and scrubs.

I completely agree BP should have their own section, just too poular of a snake much like corns have their section with other rat snakes, even though alot of people with rat snakes post in the other colubrids so the post doesn't get lost.

13. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

Snake_God_666, you made my point. Nobody with large snakes are posting here about this BECAUSE NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE HAVE THEM, and so a new room does not seem to be needed, THIS IS JUST MY OPINION. And like I said, no, Newbies do not know what they are talking about, and this is why they would post in the wrong room. It is not about what is "fair" it is about the demand for certain rooms. And like I said, AFTs do not have their own room, and so no, not every reptile I have listed has its own forum. I personally am offended by your response. We were having a nice discussion, and you made it ugly. You have been coming here for less than 3 weeks, you have no right to flame these boards. I am no longer posting on this thread if you can't be pleasant. And all this said, this has nothing to do with us. We all can state our opinion, but it is Axe who makes the final call.

14. Snake_God_666

Snake_God_666 New Member

True.. I have not been here long (Because i never knew this site existed) but overe the past few years I could have been found on kingsnake (various usernames) And hey LewsKinslayer0 I figured people with retics, burms, af rocks, indians, anacondas (both species so it wouldn't be so confusing) and as you stated olives and scrubs would fit into this catagory because they do infact have the length.. and with that said I have not intended to offend anyone only to prove my point

15. Zia

Zia Member

I dont want to get into this argument, but the argument you attempted to make Corny, just proved Snake god's side. With the majority of the activity on large boids, wouldnt it be the most intelligent choice to make the forum? You dont have to make the guys with the quote unquote other pythons have to delve into all this crap about big snakes they dont own. In my honest opinion it makes for more organization than chaos. And in case you still think nobody with large snakes is posting, i have a retic, so dont worry, i qualify.

16. Miss_Murder

Miss_Murder New Member

well.. i think it would be a very good addition.. it would be easier for us large boid owners to find the posts on large snakes... and really there's not but a handful of ppl on here period.. lol.. so why not add another forum... hey maybe it would attract some more ppl that have larger boids.. almost all the other reptile forums have some.. Kingsnake.com has every snake broken down.. (but there A LOT of ppl on there.. it wldn't be necessary in here).. but like i said a good idea none the less..

17. murphyman

murphyman Embryo

I will jump in here just to add anothe large snake owner to the mix. I think it would be a good idea aswell. I noticed that when sites have forums devoted to specific snakes(or groups of snakes) there are more specific and more intelligent questions asked. There are also more answers given, this is because there is a higher concentration(if you will) of large snake owners in the area talking about EXACTLY what they want to talk about. Not diluted by the numerous other posts that do not concern them.
    And just to touch on the venomous issue. It would be a better idea to have a venomous forum so the hot owners(even just a handful), such as myself, would not have to take crap from non- hot owners about how vens are dangerous and should not be kept. This is because the majority, if not all, of the people in the forum would either own or just be interested in hots. When there is a common interest there is much less conflict.
    These are my observations from other forums and I hope they help in the final outome!

18. Snake_God_666

Snake_God_666 New Member

That was very well said I agree with you on the hots and if these forums ever get created i hope to see you on the large boids and hotts forum

19. CornyGuy

The point I was trying to make was that most of the topics in that forum were already mostly about large Pythons. Proving what I said previously about how the Other Pythons section was actually dedicated mostly to such snakes. Meaning, that forum suffices and a new one is not needed. If you add another section, then the current forum for those snakes will become practically empty, with the loss of its "large Python" keeping members.

But, whatever, I really wouldn't mind it, I'm just saying it's not a priority right now.

20. LewsKinslayer0

To be honest I wonder if there is enough people to warrant say a medium/small python section and a large boid/python section. That may the best way to go if at all on this issue. Just throwing that idea out since it would make it a lot easier to find info on the smaller pythons.

21. Snake_God_666

Snake_God_666 New Member

well if there was a section for just large boids/pythons the other python forum would basically be a small to medium sized python forum aside from ball pythons that is.... So LewsKinslayer0 it's basically the same thing just wored different heh But I'm glad to see people are thinking about this

22. LewsKinslayer0

Yes it would be similar but the naming of the sections reduces confusion as to where to post etc.

23. Snake_God_666

Snake_God_666 New Member

Yea, you are probably right on that one

24. Blake_Herman

Blake_Herman Well-Known Member

Alright, I have both medium and large snakes. I would love to see them seperated. I hate that I have to go to another forum to get any real feedback about my large snakes, because I feel that the other pythons section is full of medium and small pythons that don't fit into another section. The large snake input into the other pythons section has only recently started to really pick up. Which is exactly why things have changed and we need our own section. If they had there own section, the other pythons section would go back to the way it used work. (talk about childrens, carpets, bloods, the sawus, there are tons that would still be talked about there and not with the large boids). I also don't think anacondas fit in with the rest of the boa section, so if we had a large boid section, everything would come together...

The venomous need their own section because they can't just be squeezed into something else. You can't honestly tell me that venomous should be put in with "general snakes". It would give the venomous owners a common place to go and talk and ask questions, and then also give the opportunity for people interested in venomous to go and ask questions.

I think both would be a great addition to this site, and it would certainly get more people here. I like the people here, but I feel like there are no sections for me here... I hate having to put all of my stuff in "other pythons". I feel like my things aren't looked at the same as people in the ball python section. Mine are just as good as the little ones...

25. Blake_Herman

Blake_Herman Well-Known Member

I want to clarify. I think we need one section for large boids, I think it could cause some confusion if we broke it into a retic section, a burmese section, an anaconda section, and so forth... that could get confusing because maybe more than one section would fit... but with one it would be prefect... if there are people on here that want these two sections, why would hurt the others who don't have them and don't really care? I know it would make me and many others happy...