new garden pics

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by Hummingbird, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

took some pics of my beautiful zinnias that started blooming a couple weeks ago. the pics are blurry, though . . . i was in a hurry. enjoy anyway!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Sorry I didnt see this earlier... those are some great pics and gorgeous flowers!!!
    It's peanut butter jelly time... you avatar still gets me chuckling every time I see it!!!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Hummingbird

thanks so much, stormy - and lol!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. lacerta

lacerta Member

Cynthia, Nice digitals! I am also a big fan of zinnias. I usually do mass plantings of "State Fair" and "Orange Profusion". From June through November I am hip deep in zinnias. :wink:
    George

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Hummingbird

thx george! well my mom got some seeds for mother's day from our church and i decided to plant them. glad i did. the only thing is, i didn't think they'd be that tall and they totally cover all our other plants in the front bed. you can't see any of my daises or cosmos or columbines or lilies or anything and they've made the bed look really . . . unorganized. i still like them, though. he are they perinnials? i was kinda hoping they were annuals so they wouldn't come up again in that spot in the front bed. maybe i'll just yank them in early sep. will prob get some more next year, though, and plant them where i want high flowers.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. lacerta

lacerta Member

Zinnias are annuals, but they will readily reseed. So unless your flower bed is tilled under or disturbed you can expect to see some come up next year. I usually dig up the seedlings as they pop up and relocate them where I want them. There are at least a dozen varieties of zinnias. The "State Fair" (which looks like your variety) will get pretty leggy and up to waist height. There are many smaller shorter varieties that get bushy and make great mass plantings. They are all easy to grow. I like to start them in April (zone 8 in GA) in those starter trays. When they get about 4-6 inches in height I will transplant them into the garden. I love my zinnias, sunflowers, and my purple coneflowers. Don't forget to "dead head" your plants. As the flowers wilt, cut them off and the plant will continue to produce blooms until first frost. Have fun.
    George

12. Hummingbird

wow thanks, george! i DO try to deadhead as often as i can with all my flowers. i also did start these guys off in peat pots and then transplanted them kinda like you do. i also have a couple sunflowers and will NOT do them again - they're so huge and they draw ants and bees. yuckers.

13. missy

missy Member

wow those are beautiful flowers

14. Hummingbird

hey thx, alysha!