New Gold Tegu Eating Only Egg

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by JustMe, Jan 23, 2005.

1. JustMe

JustMe Embryo

I have a new Gold Tegu, that I purchased about a week ago...well she finally started eating, but the only thing that she really eats is egg yolk, she loves it...I have tried moist dogfood, cat food, bananas, apples, carrots, but still nothing else is eaten...is it ok to feed her the smae food like egg all the time? how can I add variety to her diet if she doesn't want to eat anything else? any sugguestions?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

there should be absolutly no dog or cat food. way too much fat in them. i see you havnt tried mice. ive never seen a monitor or tegu turn down a mouse. i dont think that golden tegus eat fruit and veggies, unless your monitor has acquired a taste for them, but i would still limit them. for a varied diet, mice, boiled eggs (less mess, feed shell and all), crickets, malies, live fish.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. xile

xile Member

malies?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

sorry i ment mealies

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Floyd_Is_My_Beardie

Floyd_Is_My_Beardie Member

live fish?
    do you just throw them in there?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JustMe

JustMe Embryo

just bought some pinkies hope it works...

12. JustMe

JustMe Embryo

it worked...i put the pinkie in there and walked out of the room, when i came back it was gone...how many do you think i should feed her (juvenile tegu, about 12 in long) a week?

13. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

12" you should be able to give her fuzzies or hopers, as for the amount i would only give 2 a day.
    Floyd you put them in a small dish with some water.

14. Floyd_Is_My_Beardie

Floyd_Is_My_Beardie Member

are these frozen mice?

15. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

could be frozen or live. everyone has their own preference. when i had my monitor i bred my own mice so i knew that they had no parasites. some people fear that live mice may have parasites. if you freeze the mice then you will most likely kill the parasites. also some people worry that the mice might to damage to the monitor or tegu, but they have very tough hides and i have never seen a mice do more then maybe a slight scratch on the scale

16. JLExotics

JLExotics New Member

Monitors and Tegus are tuff animals, you shouldn't worry about parasites given through mice. I would also limit the eggs as to much can be bad for them. Eggs should be used as a treat every now and then, not as an everyday meal.

17. JustMe

JustMe Embryo

thanks...yea i think i will give the eggs like once or twice a week...