New Here, have a Whites Tree Frog and Questions

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by Tazwell, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Tazwell

Tazwell Embryo

Hello, this is my first time posting here :D So forgive me for anything I do wrong... And forgive the obnoxiously long post...

Anyway, I have a Whites Tree frog, and I've had him/her for 8 years. I understand that their lifespan is roughly 15 years, and I know she (for the sake of simplicity, I'm calling him/her a girl.) was full grown when I got her. Somebody had brought her to the Pet Store because they no longer wanted her. I just couldn't resist buying her, since they had her in a little tiny critter keeper with aquarium gravel and water, nearly drowning her in the water...

Back to the point. I've been keeping her in a 10 gallon tank, with some kind of moss that I bought at the petstore, a fake tree branch, a log, and a water dish. I used to have a few fake plants in there, but she never climbed on them. I spray the tank a few times a day with a water bottle, and I have a normal work light with a 40 or 60 (it's inconsistent...) bulb on the tank every day, and I turn it off at night. I feed her roughly 2 large crickets every other night.

I know I haven't been providing the best of care for her, she seems more inactive than she should be (even this type of frog is normally somewhat inactive, right?) I mean, she eats like a pig, but she never climbs or anything. No matter what I give her to climb on. She simply perches on that little log, that is under the light. I've seen her climb up the glass a few times, too.

I would just like to know what I am doing wrong that I can fix, and what kind of light, substrate and Decorations/plants I should provide her with? I know for a fact she should be in a larger tank, I am considering moving her to a 20gal tall tank. Would she enjoy company? Another whites tree frog?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

First off, welcome.

She needs a new tank for sure. 10 gallon is way to small for any treefrog IMO. 20 gallons at least for a full grown WTF. WTFs do good at room tempurature. 72F-78F during the day. At night the temps can drop a bit, but not lower than 65F. So you probably dont even need the heat lamp you have on the tank. You should only have a flourescent bulb to light it up during the day. WTFs are nocturnal, so she will be most active at night. If you over feed your WTF, it will easily become overwieght, which is not healthy at all. Can you post some pics of her. I would say a full grown WTF should have 3-4 large crickets everyother day.

As for another frog, I would get her setup in a new tank first. Than after she settles in, mabye get another one. You will have to quaratine the new frog for 1 month before putting them together. Make sure the new frog is healthy and such.

Good luck!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Tazwell

Tazwell Embryo

Thank you very much! I have a 20g high tank, but I was saving that for my fish :? I'll have to pick up another one :lol:

What do they enjoy climbing on, like What kind of things are good to put in these frogs' tanks? Is the moss I'm using okay for her, or is there something better? Speaking of which, Is it possible to set up a terrarium for them, with live plants in it, and dirt as substrate, maybe with moss over the dirt? If so, what kind of plants do people typically use?

Sorry about all the questions... But thanks for the help!!! By the way, I like your icon! Naruto Fan? :wink:

Here's some pics of her-- I don't really know how to tell if she's overweight or not- I've read that their skin will fold over their ears if they're overweight- hers do that a little bit, but not too much...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]