new iggy

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by amt, Jun 12, 2009.

1. amt

amt Embryo

HI, i just recently got an iguana about a week ago, i have been feeding it the greens and fruits and such it is supposed to have, but i cant tell if it is eating, not sure. It doesnt eat from my hand. It has had droppings, but i havent seen it eat and cant tell if it has. I have read some other questions about the same concern that others have had about their iggy, and people answering the question asked if it was new. i'm assuming that is why it isn't eating, but wanted to double check. thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. salvadorian

salvadorian New Member

Iguanas go through a transition period when they come to new homes. Leave the little guy alone for about a week except for placing food in his cage, and when he settles in, he should be really hungry.
    How old is the iguana? Does it look overly thin? What is the cage setup like?

Hopefully the little dude gets the munchies soon!!!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi amt,
    Welcome to the forums.
    It is most likely that it's settling in, they do take some time.
    There could be other factors involved so if you can answer these questions we can rule out any other problems.
    Age if known and length nose to tail.
    Size of cage
    What UVB are you using make type and strength.
    What heating.
    What are the temperatures, basking area, warm end, cool end.
    How are these temps measured and with what type of thermometer, digital with probe, dial, stick-on.
    A list of the food you use will also be helpful.

Try putting the food in a dish/bowl then you can see if it's disappearing.
    Iguana's have a very health appetite and usually eat a lot of food, it could be the move to new home or possibly something else.

If you haven't already seen this site, well worth reading, very extensive info on iggies.
    Follow this link Iguana Answers

I am now moving this topic down into the Iguana forum, hopefully you will get more replies

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Paradon

Paradon Embryo

Yes, when they first get put in there new cage it does take some time for them to acclimatize. How long it takes is dependent upon each iguana. Sometimes, they do eat just not when you are watching at least in the beginning, but if you see poop it means he is eating just not in front of you. I've read that sometimes when they are acclimatizing to their new surrounding some iguana may wake up and eat at night especially the young ones. Hope this help!