new leo- in bad shape

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Leona&Amy, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Leona&Amy

Leona&Amy Well-Known Member

So heres the story..I answer an ad in the local paper about a leo for sell. Ive been wanting another one and the bf okayed it. The lady I talked to said her 16yo son lost intrest and she had to take care of it. She said it was over 3yo and it was having problems shedding. Of corse, it didnt have a humid hide. So I told her how to make one and drove out there. The leo looked like a baby because of how small it was. It was in mid-shed (for who knows how long).It had calci-sand, heat rock, way too big crix left in the tank..the the whole works. I felt so bad for it I bought it and took it home. That was 3 hours ago. So I have paper towel down humid hide in place and already have about 50% of the old shed off. Its missing parts of alot of fingers, toes, and one looks curled over to the side on the tip (and looks dead). Im just letting him rest now. Hes had a stressful day. And my poking and prodding didnt help much as he probably hasnt been handeled very much lately. When I get his weight Ill post it but im guessing 20g for a 3+ yo leo- poor thing! Also he came with the name Twister and hes a normal. I dont know his sex they said male but it didnt look like it to me. Could it just be its emaciated state?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. vetteman21

vetteman21 Member

poor little dude i hope he pulls through

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Newt

Newt New Member

i have two leos that i thought both were females until recently my Ren is a male....he didnt even look it
    when i got him he was also skinny and tiny about half the size of my female and when i looked to see if they were both girls he sure looked it...no bulges and no pores
    since then he has grown huge...80 g now and now hes actually showing signs of being a male
    so maybe when they are sickly they mature slower
    mind also didnt even rect to a mirror beside the cage.i thought a male would have

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

L&A, you may have work cut out for you! Is he skin and bones? 'hope he's not dehydrated. I hope he starts eating for you soon!

The leo is lucky you found him!!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Leona&Amy

This morning he ate 5 small crix and was chasing after them. He wasnt very good at it even when I was hanging them in front of this face. I soaked his feet and got some more skin off but it doesnt look good. Alot is still stuck. If I cant get all the skin off am I going to have to take him into the vet? The old owners had water in for him but it looked nasty. I threw the dish away and got a new one. I also thought he might be dehydrated and soaking would be good. He is pretty boney but since hes eating I feel better. Leona didnt eat for a week or so when I got her. So will my leo have any health problems later on in his life from his mistreatment?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

The eating is a very good sign. I would continue to soak him at lest two or three times a day until you get all of the old skin off. A trip to the vet will probably be a good thing regardless of you getting the skin off or not.

12. passionswave

passionswave New Member

awww. that's really good that you got him out of there. and awesome that he's eating. I hope verything works out well for you and twister.

13. Leona&Amy

Thanks everyone. I think since hes still alive he has a good chance of making it now that hes with me. Do you think it would be rude of me to ask the lady I got him from If she would pay half the vet bill?

14. vetteman21

vetteman21 Member

no i would do it, if she doesnt kno enough to take take care of the thing then the least she could do is help with the recovery of the poor thing, atleast thats my opinion of that subject

15. Leona&Amy

Yeah I just dont know how to approach the situation. I dont want to be like," I have to take him to the vet because of you!" Im just so mad in general and I dont want to come off as being rude.

16. KrazyKelli

KrazyKelli New Member

I don't recommend bothering the woman for paying half the vetbill. If she purposefully tried to hurt the lizard, she wouldn't have put out an ad in the newspaper to get someone more experienced to take care of it. Making her pay for half the vetbill would be like rubbing her face in the lizards old cage.

Instead, I recommend calling the woman, telling her the extremely poor state of the leo and how you'll have to take it to the vet. Then recommend that she gets no other reptiles (or pets) for her son until he is FAR more responsible.

Perhaps go a step and recommend to her that her son pays for part of the resulting vetbill as punishment for not taking responsibility for his leo. That might end up reasonable on both ends.

17. vetteman21

vetteman21 Member

lol i dunno how u could put it, best bet i guesss would be to just politlely ask, i mean she did realise that her son wasnt taking care of it and put it up for adoption so obviously she shows consern for him, i mean she could have lust let him pass.

18. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

Yes I think it would be out of line. If splitting the cost of a vet trip was agreed upon before you took it then so be it, but you can't put those demands on someone after the deal. That is way out of line. These are things you should have taken into consideration before hand.

Any conditions on a sale or adoption needs to be made perfectly clear BEFORE the transaction takes place.

Just my $.02 on that.

19. Leona&Amy

Yeah I wasnt counting on that. I was just wondering if I should do it because of how bad he is and I didnt realize it was that bad and Im sure the lady had no clue. I told her Id call and give an update in the future and Im not sure what to say. I guess Ill take Kelli's advice and tell her if I take him to the vet. But thats about it. Thanks for everyones advice, and Sharp your $0.02 is worth 2 million to me!

20. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

I'm sure with your care and attention, he'll pull through. It's very sad that she waited to put him up for sale. But be very glad it was someone with experience like you, that bought him, instead of a newbie!

21. vetteman21

vetteman21 Member

here here

22. Leona&Amy

Thanks, guys! He ate 8 more small crix today (and pooed). Soaked him more and got a few pieces of skin off. Hes out and about alot and hangs out in his humid hide. I cant wait for him to fatten up!

23. vetteman21

vetteman21 Member

that is awsome, so glad to hear the little dude is doin so good.

24. Leona&Amy

Thanks, vette.I just weighed him in at 26 grams:( Leona is well over 70.

25. vetteman21

vetteman21 Member

hey at least he is on his way up there