New leopard gecko owner, need advice

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Sunnyfayee, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Sunnyfayee

Sunnyfayee Embryo

I received this adorable leopard gecko as a graduation gift in June. At first, he hissed and snapped at me so I figured I would give him time to get used to the new environment. The other day, my father went to hold him and it bit him on the hand and wouldn't let go for about ten minutes!! So I get close to the tank and my gecko starts to walk over to me with an interested look but, I am just so scared to hold him. I feel so bad because he always tries to get out and I get nervous. Any advice on how I know if he is going to bite me or anything?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

I can't guarantee he won't bite you, but I can tell you that at that size it really doesn't hurt. The best thing to do is to get him used to you slowly. Start by letting him walk over your hand in the cage, then move on to getting him used to your hand approaching him, then start getting him used to your hand being lifted with him on it, and then move onto handling outside the cage. You can also try hand feeding--I have found that helps get a lot of young leos used to handling much faster.

Welcome to the boards and let us know if you have any questions!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. spaceboy

spaceboy Well-Known Member

I just agree with Cammy, there is no miracle way for getting them hand tame, you just need to be persistant and keep your head cool. He'll come around eventually :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Tim3skimo

Tim3skimo New Member