New red Tail

Discussion in 'Boas' started by Tokaylove, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Tokaylove

Tokaylove Member

this is our new guy just got him on tuesday these are the pics from the breeder my camera has dead batteries, will post set up pics soon!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    hope you like

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

thats a great looking little boa . . . congrats!

~Will.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. zakkyz

zakkyz New Member

Nice Boa. Is he your first?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. HadesBP18

HadesBP18 Member

Congrats on your boa, they are awesome snakes!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Tokaylove

Tokaylove Member

I also have a regular red tail, so im very aware of their size. I also have 3 kenyan sand boas but they arent the same, I just love red tails!!!! Great personalities and I never have had to worry about them eating rain or shine they are always willing.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. VtMiPgYeRr

VtMiPgYeRr Member

So they are really friendly? Even for such large snakes? Hehe how fast do they tend to grow? And whats the largest size for a female?

12. HadesBP18

HadesBP18 Member

I couldn't agree with the feeding part more Tokay. Thats why I love Kozma. He has never refused a meal ever. He's my garbage disposal. Whenever anyone else doesn't eat he takes the leftovers :D

Red tail Boas, if handled regularly, are very friendly. Not all large snakes are meanies, from what I have seen and heard Burms are like really big kittens! Growth depends on their feeding schedule and such. My male grew 2 1/2 feet within a year. For a female BCI I'd say 8-10' and MAYBE 12'. For a BCC definitely 10'-12'

13. hoffmanrider56

hoffmanrider56 New Member

stunning little snake boa you have there. congrats.

14. thepogona

thepogona Member

Every once in a while, depending on the locality of the RTB, diet, genetics, etc. There will be a 12+ foot specimen. I've heard of a 15 footer? probably just rumor, but its quite possible.
    As for aggression, I agree with HadesBP18; not all large snakes are meanies. Even still, use the buddy system once they hit 8 feet.

15. HadesBP18

HadesBP18 Member

Oh yeah, for BCCs no doubt higher than 12', at least with the females. Males not so much, but still pretty big. I think I've heard of the 15 footer too, it wouldn't surprise me.

16. DreamingOfDragons

DreamingOfDragons Member

nice snake my cousin has a normal red tail boa...Lieukreen(cousins snake) has a very good temprement would love to have one but a 12+ft snake is to big for me and my mom wouldn't allow it because she would think it would the dogs and her persian cat

congrats on the snake though!!

17. baller2413

baller2413 New Member

boa

that looks like a hogg. Like what type of red tail is that

18. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

RE: boa

A hogg island boa is a smaller species of red tail. They look the same, just smaller.

19. thepogona

thepogona Member

Hoggs are BCIs, baller2413, count the saddles (hourglass indentation like markings). Has less than 22 (if I'm counting correctly). "True" red-tails are BCCs, less than 22; BCIs are more than 22. Congrats on such a nice specimen; after checking out his pricelist, was he/she $2000-3000? sorry if I'm off by a few zeros (or too few)

20. VtMiPgYeRr

VtMiPgYeRr Member

I was just wondering about the temperment because my stepdad found one out in the woods, about 7 ft and she wasn't friendly. Though with her being found in the woods I wasnt going ot assume that was how they all are. Not with how many of them are owned. And ah yes, the big burm kittens lol. :3

21. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Yes, true redtails are BCCs, and hoggs are a smaller BCIs, I should have been more descriptive, sorry. But a lot of people call BCIs redtails because of their tails.

22. thepogona

thepogona Member

I should start a new topic, but has anyone heard of or seen Bob Clark. He's at a lot of the herp shows (IRBA, I think), and he brings Fluffy along. Fluffy being 310 pounds and probably 20 feet long (Retic. Python), gives me reason to want to get a pic with her. Back to his prices, he's got $10,000 albinos or hypos, etc. I've heard of much more, but if I had the cash and setup, I'd buy one.

23. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

Bob's a legend. Nuff' said :D

24. travis

travis New Member

i've got one and hes definatly not a good eater picky as hell

25. thepogona

thepogona Member

You've got a....? Retic? could you post pics? how long?