New RETF

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by Bullitt, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Bullitt

Bullitt Embryo

Just got a Red Eye Tree Frog, ive done a lot of research because this is my 1st frog. Its pretty tiny now, all tucked up while sleeping its abut the nize of a quarter maybe. right now i have it in a 10 gallon, with moss as a subtrate. I have an exo-terra fogger in a small thing of water in there with a bunch of fake leaves. I also put a small UTH in there that I leave on at all time and it is regulated so it does not get to hot so it wont burn itself because I read that sometime they will burrow in the moss. I have a blacklight bulb on 1 side of the tank and also I have a UVB that I turn on during the day although i read they do not need UV I dont know if this is true or not??? I **** all the light off at night though.

Day time: right about 90 degrees right under the light about 85 is the ambient temp and humidity is around 90%

Night time: temp stays around 72 degrees and the humidity is about the same as during the day

Can you see any problems with this set up...?

Also I have been feeding it small crickets each day and it is eating them

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Palindrome

Palindrome New Member

Sounds nice, just to make shure I have to ask if it's a Reptile Black light or a "disco" bulp/tube.

The one's used for party light can be to powerfull, the UVD radiation can harm the eyes of some reptiles. I know specialy snakes can get eye damages from strong UVD light.

So you should use a small night light, it's a UVD blacklight but they are not as strong and the spectrum is a little different if you look at the datasheats from the bulp producers.

Congrats with your new animal and best of luck with him/her

Gretings
    Palindrome

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

I'm a bit curious about RETFs. I've heard that they can eat a diet of mealworms or crickets, is that true? I've also heard that they can live full lives in a permanant 10 gallon home. Do you think you will need to put your RETF in a larger home at some point? Congrats on the new frog, and good luck.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

I'm never sure which caresheets to trust. There's a lot of conflicting information out there on some species. So thanks for those links nuggular, I'll have to check them out.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Palindrome

Palindrome New Member

Read em all and make your own conclution, most of it is common sense to figure out.

Trusting one source of information from the net can easy be dangerus, there are lot's of stupid ppl out there who fully belive they know what they are doing and post it as facts. So take the time to read up on a few different caresheets, then use the inner side of ya head and make up your own mind - best of luck with it.

Pali

12. croc_gator_rebeccak3

croc_gator_rebeccak3 Well-Known Member

to further things aon, i hope bullit taht you red eye grows up to be a healthy bid eyed frog :) and fiche, i hope you learn lots! .... and palindrome -lol-... are you done with that cage project yet!!