New rule in Photos and Photography

Discussion in 'Site Feedback & Questions' started by Sheila, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Sheila

Sheila Member

I am a little disappointed by the new no feeding pictures rule. One of the great things about Reptile rooms was that it showed all aspects of reptile keeping and care. So, I am going to offer a suggestion. Can we get a new category for pictures that will be mammal and reptile feeding pictures? That way if a person wants to post a feeding picture they have a place. This also eliminates the randomness of it popping up in general photography and disturbing some folks. If we have a designated place for the photos, those who do not want to see it will know not to go there.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Just to calrify, insect pictures are ok, its just mammals and reptiles. The decision to dis-allow these pictures has not come lightly. Recently, a few mods, and also Cheri, has had complaints about these type of pictures. It's more the reptiles eating other reptile pictures which cause the most uproar.

I'll have a word with Admin, and the other mods, and see what they think. I'm sure Cheri will make an announcement sometime soon anyway.

As for the forum suggestion, tbh, i don't think that there is enough interest to warrant a forum at this time, but we'll keep an eye on things.

I'm also moving this over to site feedback.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

This is actually not a new rule, this is an old rule some of the newer mods did not realize existed. The rule was recently reviewed by cheri, myself and a couple others due to the massive volume of correspondence we got over the issue. I do not like having to implement such things nor does anyone else but due to the amount of complaints we have no choice. I know it's the food chain and I know it is natural but some ppl raise these animals which are getting eaten and get very upset seeing it happen, not to mention the effect it has on children.

I don't see why it is a big deal to limit these pictures, you don't need to see the animal eat to understand the process. I understand your suggestion but don't know how to reply as that is a decision that must be made by cheri.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

Shelia, what animal do you have that has to eat other Snakes, lizards or mammals? Reptile rooms as far as I know has always removed pictures displaying one reptile eating another reptile or mammal, so nothing has changed but I added the notice of it to 2 forums, I can remove the notices and we will just got back to removing them when we see them or people message me or a moderators or the IRC channel and it happens all the time any are posted.

Then nothing has changed for anyone to be upset over and the photos are still removed. So if RR was so great before, there is nothing changed!

No, there will not a catagory just for people to put up photos of one reptile eating another. We had to draw a line someone and when I saw a photo of a monitor with the lower half a struggling baby bearded dragons hanging out of its mouth with a silbing standing there watching it and the monitors next meal in a few moments, it was agreed by all involved in making this site that all reptile and mammals being eaten by reptile photos would be removed.

The other one that bothered me personally was a baby mouse with its head in a snake mouth and its legs stiffened out and it soiling itself, to me neither of these photos are needed on this site and if people can not deal with that, they can post them somewhere else and I will not be offened. It really surprises me that you would think things like these are fine for others to pop up to on view considing all I know you have gone through to raise healthy bearded dragons, would you really want to see them sticking out of another lizards mouth and fighting to survive? Yeah, I now it is the food chain, just like dogs to crocs are, but we do not have to photograph it and pay the bandwidth to display it

Why do you need to see that to understand the feeding process?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. CheriS

I have removed the request not to post pictures of reptiles and mammals being used as feeders by other reptiles that I had just added, but it does not change the fact they will be removed and the poster sent a PM and it explained why, which is for the consideration of others on the site

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

So, does this mean no snakes eating at all?

12. Janice

Good luck to you, removing them all. It took me 2 minutes to find 8 snake feeding pictures. Funny I don't recall ever hearing about this rule, or ever seeing a photo removed because of this rule.

13. Janice

Why not just have a warning in the title of the thread? There are a few threads that titled "Warning-Feeding Pics".

14. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

I agree..... I have never heard of this rule before either and I have been a member for several years. In the past people usually have done what Janice suggested and wrote "warning". If not, a mod can easily edit the title and add the feeding warning. I understand that there has to be line and that some people post feeding pics with the intention to disturb, but others are very interesting. This is a reptile site, we should all be mature and experienced enough to handle pics of our reptiles eating. If this were a fuzzy mammal site, that would be another thing…. If the mods feel that a particular picture has been posted to disturb, then its removal makes sense, but keep in mind that many a educational and informative dialogue has resulted from what many might consider a disturbing feeding pic.

15. Janice

I agree with Jenn. Maybe we should keep the feeding phots out of photos and photography, and keep them in the snake forums. Anyone keeping a snake wouldn't be offended, and if it offends someone thinking of keeping snakes, well then, they shouldn't be keeping snakes.

16. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

Re: RE: New rule in Photos and Photography

That has been there for a long time. If you notice the last time it was edited is listed Last edited by Axe on Nov 22, 2005 - 03:27 AM; edited 9 times in total.

That rule was not the last edit either so it was there before that. So yes it is kind of ironic you didn't see it. The rule is not being changed and if you found 8 snake feeding pictures please PM a mod about it telling them which threads these are in.

17. Sheila

Sheila Member

Cheri and others I am sorry if this has caused any negative feelings. That was not my intent. I did not know someone was feeding beardies to a monitor. Quite an expensive lunch! I thought people were complaining about F/T rodents being used. Please do whatever needs to be done.
    Of course, I do not want to see any animal suffer as a prey item. I understand the feeding process. I feel bad for the super worms when Sheila or Faith bites them in half and the head falls out of their mouths and still moves on the ground.
    As morbid as it may be, I have always been fascinated by snakes eating. I like how they work the food down and the jaws unhinge. However, I do not want to see a rodent or reptile struggling to survive while being eaten. Even I draw the line at that. Again, I did not mean any disrespect to anyone. Sorry if I have hurt anyone's feelings. :)

18. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

Sheila I appreciate the maturity and you are not to blame for any trouble caused (though I wouldn't really say theirs been "trouble")

19. CheriS

Its all good, we see a lot that others never see as we have a team that moves them into an off public area or deletes them and lets us know. ASs Tux said, it is a rule that has been there for at least 2-3 year that I know of an I am sorry if others did not read it when they signed up or checked the rules.... it is nothing new and strange to get in an state of protest over something that has been that way for years

Janice,

Yes, unless the snake is eating circkets or dining with the mouse and lizards at a formal table:D

Thank you for your good wishes to me, I am sorry you have missed the many I have presonally removed. I guess I got them faster than you could view amd tell us we missed them :)

Cause that is the the rule we agreeded on years ago and I do not want to ;)

Sorry, no, you might notice one day that many people viewing the snake sections do not have snakes yet, or may never, but they still appreciate the beauty of them. I do not raise venomous snakes and neither do the hundreds that have viewed things in there, but we still go in and look at the animals. Some are breath takingly beautiful and I can enjoy that

20. Janice

Okay, okay, Cher, it's your choice, since it's your site. :p I will PM a mod, with the links, (and one of the pics belongs to a mod) I guess I just missed the rule, and maybe it was new after I joined?

21. Janice

PM sent to 00luke00!

22. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the links Janice, i will get the pictures removed.

23. i_i_herpetile

i_i_herpetile Embryo

ahhhhh i know this is an old thread but i raise insects, breed and keep alot of amazing invertebrates... please ban all photos of all reptiles eating my precious pets! i only keep vegie herps and can't stand carnivors! for the sanctitiy of my eyes please ban this

24. lollapalooza

lollapalooza Member

I know this is a now long standing rule and I know my opinion won't and will continue to not matter, but I just want to throw this out there.

I breed insects. Hell, I love insects. I don't like seeing insects ate. In fact, when I was little, I put a band aid and some antibacterial gel on a caterpillar I accidentally stepped on. It died.

I find it a bit, I don't know, stupid to not allow pictures of mammal/reptile feeders because we have forums on this very site that take...mammalian and reptilian feeders. It's a bit like telling your kid not to touch a hot oven, but turn it on and see how hot it is anyway! I know there are kids on this website and I know it is a bit odd to see a pinkie being ate for the first time. But you know what, it happens and it is very, very common. The very snakes you Oooohh and Aaaahhh at are eating that. Maybe it is time people get with the program and get with nature. I know kids go on this website but if you're going to be a part of the herp world you need to be introduced to the herp world.

Leopard Geckos, Anoles, Pinkies, they are ALL feeders. If you want to draw a line in the sand feel free to do so, but I don't think such a wide spectrum such as mammals/reptiles will do any good. It, to me, simply screams hypocrite. I don't want people getting offended and I don't want people thinking I am bringing them down. I simply am just saying what my opinion is. If you want to draw the line with feeders when it comes to Geckos and BDs (which make crappy feeders anyway), go for it, but why have a forum on Boas, Pythons, Hots, Corns, so on if we aren't going to allow pictures of them eating mice? Why are we going to discuss killing mice, but not allow pictures of them? Let's talk about that mouse my ball python ate last night, but I'll be gee golly gosh darned if you post a picture of it! Why can't we just have a system in place where instead of banning ALL pictures you can contact a mod or admin and ask them to remove it if it is Soooooooooooooooo offensive, which some can and very will be. I just find it all very, very stupid, and I don't even own a gee golly gosh darned snake.

But, as I said before, I may very well just be rambling, and my post very likely won't matter at all.

edited for inappropriate language

25. lestat

lestat Moderator

I believe the reason for the rule against all feeding photos (minus insects, of course) was because people complained that their photos had been removed and others hadn't. It causes more problems than simply banning them all.