New Site Features, other changes.

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by Axe, Oct 30, 2005.

1. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

The custom fourm pics are really nice :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. garybingham

garybingham Member

i like the new changes Axe good work and thanks a lot

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Thanks guys,

Like I said though, there's still more to come :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Orangemen08

Orangemen08 Member

well come one were waiting!!! enough already geeeese lol

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. brado

brado Member

Woah, axe, I'm deffenetly not a fan of whatever border lines and post/forum shading you took out.

Hopefully I'm just here at a weird time and something better is in store!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Okies, the update should be done now, which bit are you talking about?

12. brado

brado Member

13. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Ahh okies, I think I know what you mean, at least on the first image, I'm lost on the second, heh.

But there are a couple of colours n' stuff I've noticed are off. I did a complete forum upgrade to a new version of the software, so it's just one or two teething troubles. :)

14. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Oh, I know why it looks different to you and me...
    yeah, Firefox & IE are using the same stylesheet for the forums now.

So, they may be one or two browser inconsistencies.

15. brado

brado Member

Oh, I guess that would explain it.

People still use IE?

16. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

lol, yes, most of the users here :)

17. brado

brado Member

Ahh, checking back with IE and everything looks good! I guess thats the price I pay for being a minority :).

Oh, and as for the second painting I thought I remembered the forums alternating baige/greenish colors like the posts do in a thread, but I could be wrong.

I really appreciate all the hard work you've been putting into the site, it's really looking good latley (on normal browsers anyway). Once I get ahead of my student loan payments I'll probably donate or atleast buy a photo account, since I've been using your bandwith for over a year now. Enough asskissing for now though, i've been awake for way too long today!

18. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Okies, that's right, I remember they alternated on the homepage now. Yeah, I just felt it looked better like this. We'll see if I change my mind, hehe :)

Once I've got my current list out of the way, I'll work on splitting the CSS to make things look the same in IE and FF.

19. clarinet45

clarinet45 Well-Known Member

ty! i use firefox and Opera btwn the two PCs and was getting some weird stuff, but all is well now! thanks for all the great addins/changes!

20. brado

brado Member

Axe, here's a question for ya.

Have you considered something like a premium membership that could be tied in with a photo account? The main selling feature would be that it would allow user xxxxx to have an edit button available on all posts(or atleast all recent posts). If user xxxxx was anything like me (quick/slopy typist + bad proofreader), it would be the best deal ever!!!!!!!! :wink:

21. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

I really like that now we can click on someone's post count and see the 'history'....so much easier when looking for stuff on previous posts! Good one!!

22. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

I've considered it, and I'm still considering it. The idea has not been completely thrown out of the window, but for now, there's three different levels of paid gallery available depending on whether you want a 10Meg, 25Meg or 50Meg gallery.

But, it may be an option for the future - especially as I add more features to the site.

Yeah, that was one I definitely wanted to get in. You guys are in for a real treat when you see what I'm currently working on.

I'm going to be doing little jobs on the live site over the next few weeks as well as this. Enhancements here and there, features, layout tweaks, database optimization, etc, but what I've done is duplicate the entire site on one of my laptops here.

That way, I can implement little changes on the live site right away, and use the laptop for doing the BIG jobs, with a LOT of file editing. I use a program called BeyondCompare2 (best 30 bucks I ever spent on software) to compare the files on the laptop vs. those on the live server, and it'll show me all the differences between modified files.

So I can keep the laptop version updated with all the lil mods I install on the real site, while I develop the big mods. That way, when the big mods are complete, I can just copy all the files over without worrying about losing things I've implemented.

Yeah, you guys are definitely in for a treat :D

Clem, hit me up on the chat next time you're in.

23. LewsKinslayer0

LewsKinslayer0 Well-Known Member

Wow Axe, you really are doing a great job upgrading the site. I'm in with brado with the membership to get the edit button back, plus the larger photo album is a bonus. This site is probably the best site I am a member of, great community and I really like how you are making the site look.

24. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Well, people still have the edit button, to a degree. The edit button exists for the last post on each thread. If your post happens to be the last one on that thread, then you're the one who sees the edit button :D

To just give the old edit access back to everybody just re-creates potential hassles that people have abused in the past (which was the reason it was changed in the first place). Having different user level accounts that can or can't access the edit button, would be very difficult to implement (possibly negatively affecting performance). So I don't know if that's going to be doable.

I will look into it though. For now, just make sure you use that preview button, and double check your post before you submit :D

If you guys do ever need an old post edited, you can always PM a moderator.

25. Orangemen08

Orangemen08 Member

wow you have done so much to this forum already and it sounds like you have more on the way!!! your a busy man... keep up the good work