New snake - blood python!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by Crazy4Herps, May 14, 2009.

1. Crazy4Herps

Crazy4Herps Hooked on Reptiles

I got my blood today. :) He is really really beautiful. Seriously, these pics do him no justice.

Sorry, bad quality, I didn't take these. I'll post some better ones once I start handling him this weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. wearentfree420

wearentfree420 Member

Gratz :)
    nice looking python, wish my dad wasn't such a panzy when it comes to snakes and would let me keep one in his house lol.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

wow you sure are persistent :D
    form the pic, he's probably a juvenile, or yearlings. is he?
    is he nippy?
    hope he is tamed. i don't like any accident :)

how can your family let you bought that thing? i thought they don't let you bought any RTB??

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jflizi1458

jflizi1458 New Member

very nice I hope to see more pics of him

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Crazy4Herps

Thanks!
    On average, bloods are a bit shorter than RTBs, though probably heavier.
    Yes, he's very young. I don't have a pic of him with my hand or anything to compare to, but he is about 25" long.

Today I took him out for a few minutes. No hisses or strikes. Great temperament, actually. Although I do expect to get bit; bloods can be snappy.
    Here are some more pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's a good view of his dorsal stripes.
    [​IMG]
    And here is his enclosure. It is a bit too large, but he seems pretty relaxed. I'll see how he does. If he doesn't eat, I'll move him to a smaller tub.
    [​IMG]

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

he's stunning ;)
    where'd you get him from?
    yeah, he's mostly aggresive and nippy, but some don't,

is that a temporary tank?

12. jeffg46

jeffg46 New Member

When I saw your post I just smiled. I guess you are just not one to take no for an answer. Good for you.

That is a one beautiful snake. You should be very happy. Be careful with it. For all your effort and convincing to get it, you do not want anyone rethinking their capitulation.

Jeff

13. jflizi1458

jflizi1458 New Member

Wow he's only about 25" long! he is a bit heavier than a rtb then lol I thought he was a little longer...still great looking...I like the eyes alot

14. Crazy4Herps

What can I say, it was love at first sight with these guys. STPs are amazing animals.
    Thanks.

I handled him yet again today (I was pretty much asking to get tagged, but surprisingly enough, I didn't), and got a pic in comparison to my hand so you can see how small he is.
    [​IMG]

I got him from The Blood Line.

15. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

so adorable. i want a blood someday. yours is amazing though, and so cute! sorry, girly moment XD

16. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

a breeder here have so much and very amazing bloods!
    they have a blood like chocolate dip, the markings are like small dots, stunner! ;)

sangre is quite a good name :)

17. beefcake

beefcake Member

very nice snake, it seems to know already your not a threat. good job

18. bAlLinLiKeAbOa

bAlLinLiKeAbOa Member

I've always wanted one, just never got around to it. The last snake I purchased was like two years ago, maybe I'm do for another??

19. Crazy4Herps

lol, I think so. The longest I've lived without another reptile is 9 months. (That is, after I was initially addicted.)

20. bAlLinLiKeAbOa

bAlLinLiKeAbOa Member

Yeah, I got a ball python for my first snake(he's 8 years old currently), then like two years later I got a corn snake(he's about 3 years old now), and a month after that I got my jungle carpet python(he is young but is so big.) The JCP is up to 7 small rats a week at the moment, the ball is eating 12 large mice a week(I've tried to get him on rats for years), and the corn can put down like 5 rat pups every week. The only issue is with getting another snake is that my apartment complex doesn't aloud reptiles or any of that kind of stuff and I'm already being so sneaky as it is. It's a pain when they come in to fix stuff like the shower head one time, when they clean the carpets for free I have to put a blanket over all the stuff and even depending on the person cleaning/maintenance the house I have to move the cages to my moms for a few hours. Plus, I have a cat, two golden retrievers, and a tarantula. My place is so small, lol.

21. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

if i were you i'd moved up first LOL

22. BooBah

BooBah New Member

wow beautiful snake how much would one of these cost and where can i get one?

23. Crazy4Herps

Thanks. :D Imports are really cheap, maybe less than $100, but imports are nasty and usually mite-loaded. It's best to invest in a CBB from a reputable breeder. I got this guy from The Blood Line (http://www.thebloodline.net/) for $150 plus shipping. NERD (http://www.newenglandreptile.com/) also has some great short tailed pythons for about the same price. Also, VPI (http://www.vpi.com/) is great.

Keep in mind that these guys can be really aggressive (I got lucky) and they get to be huge. I think the record blood was over 9 feet long and 40 pounds.

24. BooBah

BooBah New Member

I think when i move im gonna be looking into one of these do you think that i could find one at an expo?

25. Crazy4Herps

Definitely. Bloods are pretty popular. Look for The Blood Line, NERD, or VPI, but there are also other good blood breeders, although there are some bad ones too, so be careful. Ask to see genetics records. Check eyes, nose, mouth, and vent for any mites, mucous, or anything else that looks wrong. Handle them too. Although you are likely to get some good hard bites in its life, you want to start out with one that doesn't seem too aggressive.