New Snake? What kind?

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by cameron1, May 30, 2006.

1. cameron1

cameron1 New Member

Ok ive been debating getting another snake. i really like snakes i have one corn about a 1 1/2 yrs old and a ball python thats a little over a year old. ive been thinking about many different snakes, but i want more of a larger full bodied snake like a ball python but nothing that will get over 10ft long. it has to be handleable and more on the docile side. i was reading in some older posts about dumeril boas, does anyone have any experience with these? also about how much do they sell for? are there any other snakes that may be fit for what im looking for? thanks
    cameron

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Zia

Zia Member

I have a similar desire..I'm considering possibly getting an Irian Jaya carpet python. I believe Dumerils get larger than 10 feet on occassion...Have you ever considered sand boa's? I realize some people don't like them, but their patterns can be AWESOME..and they are full bodied and dont get super long like some.

I was also considering getting a Crested Gecko, my brother used to have one and the thing was incredibly cool..till he died :-/ Any thoughts on that one?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

What about a Hogg Island boa? I'm pretty sure they are smaller then Red tails...and they're gorgeous.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Zia

Zia Member

They have a pretty nasty temper from what i've been told and from the ones i've handled. Although i agree..they are beatiful. And if you get a young enough one i'm sure it would be relatively good-tempered

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. cameron1

cameron1 New Member

Ok, ive narrowed it down to either a Dumril Boa or a Childrens Python. i like the patterns and color of the childrens better, but can anyone tell me any pro's and con's about these two species? thanks
    cameron

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. petec

petec Embryo

I have a childrens python hatchling and several of my friends have them. They are very easy to look after and only get to about 3 ft in length. They are normally very well mannered and dont tend to snap when being picked up or handled. They are very easy to feed with mine accepting f/t pinky mice from a very early age.

12. Zia

Zia Member

Something i forgot to mention..Have you considered a Brazilian Rainbow Boa? I have one and it's a great snake, very beautiful as well. They only get to about 6 feet

13. cameron1

cameron1 New Member

Also could anyone tell me the personalities of these two speciese, i havnt been able to find much? i hear they both are more on the docile side once they get comfortable and that the python is more nippy when young. can anyone tell me the price ranges for these two? thanks again
    cameron

P.S: thanks Petec i didnt notice your post

14. Zia

Zia Member

If you go to a reptile swap you should be able to get a juvie Dumeril's for about 100 bucks..at least the one that i go to. If you go to a reputable pet store (NOT talking about Petco etc...but a reptile pet place..) expect anywhere from 180-225 for a baby one. They are, as young snakes, pretty nippy, as are many species, but with proper amounts of handling they can be quite calm and fun to handle.

Sorry, but i can't answer anything about the Children's python..i have no experience with them.

15. improvius

improvius New Member

We've had 2 clutches of Childreni so far, and only one of the hatchlings was ever nippy. And even that didn't last very long. As far as I can tell, our Childreni are just as docile as our ball pythons. They seem to be much more active and inqusitive than our ball pythons. A hatchling can go anywhere from around $50-100.

16. reako45

reako45 Member

Improvious, you gotta be kiddin' me! Only ONE was nippy!?! I wonder if that was the same situation w/ my '05 female Childreni's (Tommi) clutch and I just got the nippy one! Congrats on the nice clutch turn out.
    Ash19 you beat me to it. I was gonna suggest a Hogg Island! They only pop up every so often in the pet trade out here in SoCal, and they cost a pretty penny (show prices for 1 @ lllreptile was $260). Reptile Depot had 6 of 'em a while back and were going to cut either me or my friend a deal to get one for $200. I hear they change colors.

reako45

17. Zia

Zia Member

That's insane reako! I know a guy who owns a reptile store..which is surprisingly a great place to get a reptile.. and he was selling a hogg island straight from the breeder for 150 dollars (a juvie) and at the past reptile show i went to i saw two for under 200 dollars.

18. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Haha yup! I'm totally obsessed with them. Dying to get one. I have no idea how much they go for up here, but I imagine they're not cheap. For a few special colour morphs I saw for sale, they went for about $800! But as soon as I can, I'm getting one.

19. burmboy_6

burmboy_6 New Member

NE thing along the lines of boa IF its a male wil stay well under 10 feet. I have dumerils hogg islands and redtails.