New tank for my Tokays. A question though.

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by nuggular, Mar 24, 2005.

1. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

I moved my tokays from their 30 gallon tank to a 55 gallon tank. I made it look awesome and I put them in there. I did that on Monday. When I put them in there, they stayed put for like 5 min, then rushed into the cork log on the cool end of the tank. It is now thurs and the 2 of them are still in the cork log. I dont even think they have come out of it at night. The tank is right by my bed and I havent heard any noise come from it. They just lay in there hudled together. My cool end is around 70-75F. The the log is at 70F inside. I know it takes a little bit for them to get used to there new enclosure, but how long should it take. They are in the same spot of the same room. I fed them yesterday as well to see if that would bring them out of the cork log. I put in 6 crickets, they did not even come out after them. I was surprised. Usually they will attack right away without hesitation. This morning I caught 4 of the 6 crix and so it seems 2 were eaten or unfound. What would you recommend about feeding them. I wasnt gonna feed them again until they come out and are comfortable. (unless that takes longer than another week, in which case I will dump some more crix in there.) I have had them for 1 1/2 years and they have been healthy and hardy, easy to take care of geckos.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. AP327

AP327 New Member

When I moved mine into her new enclosure(an 87 gallon custom) she stayed under her hide and never came out(not that I saw anyway) for the first week or week and a half. That was about five weeks ago and now she comes out all the time, even during the day. I've seen her under her hide twice since she came out.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Ubi

Ubi New Member

If it wouldn't be too much trouble could you guys post a picture of your Tokay enclosures, I'd love to see what you've got going on so I can compare/improve on mine.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. nuggular

Thx for the encouragement. The female "Teshaku" came out tonight. The male "Tentoki" is still in his cork log, but I expect he'll come out tonight as well. And sure Ubi, I'll get some pics up of my enclosure as soon as I can.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. AP327

AP327 New Member

My enclosure is a work in progress os it doesn't look like much right now. I add stuff as often as I can though.

I'll try and get a pic up tomorrow.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Ubi

Ubi New Member

thanks guys I appreciate it

12. boulais

boulais Embryo

if anyone plz tell me if tokay geckos are really mean and are they hard to take care

13. nuggular

Yes boulais, tokay are very mean. They are pets for looking at not handling. If you are lucky to get one as a juvie, then you might beable to tame it. But for the most part, they are for looking at. They are very pretty and very easy to take care of. If you get one, post here and we will tell you what to do for it.

14. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

The more I hear about how mean tokays are, the more I want one. Is that sick? Of course, the only reason I want oscars is to watch them chase and eat goldfish. I have problems.

15. nuggular

That is the exact reason I got mine. I wanted an aggressive species that would give me a run for my money when I have to handle them. Its the excitement of handling something that wants to bite the sheet out of you that is great. So no I wouldnt say that your sick.

16. AP327

AP327 New Member

Alright, here's mine.

A view of the front.
    [​IMG]

A look at the inside.
    [​IMG]

Another look at the inside.
    [​IMG]

Full view, legs and all.
    [​IMG]

Sorry about the sideways pics, I don't know how to change that.

17. Ubi

Ubi New Member

I have only had my Tokay for a few weeks but I love him! He is still shy about coming out during the day but getting better. I wouldn't say you are sick, the reason I fell in love with him was because of the way he hissed and barked and bit me and wouldn't let go. There is something about a 6 inch creature that thinks he can take me on that I have to respect. An like Nuggular said they are really pretty.

Thanks for posting pictures AP327 your enclosure is huge. By comparison it looks like I have all the proper stuff just on a smaller scale. Is that a heat rock though? I'll see if I can get some pictures of Ivan's enclosure soon.

18. AP327

AP327 New Member

nope, it's just a regular rock.

That thing was a pain to get into my room though. Legs and all it's about six feet tall.

19. nuggular

AP327, tokays need high humidity and you have a wooden cage. The wood is going to begin to warp
    and rot as time goes on. You might want to think about something else. Also, there is like no plants in your
    tank. I will get some pics of my tank asap so everyone gets a good idea of a properly planted setup. Tokays need
    alot of plants to hide and feel comfortable. I do think you tank is great though AP327, it is huge. Mabye you
    could find some kind of non-toxic paint that will protect your tank against rotting and warping. Just get some more
    plants in there and stuff. Just add some more things to climb on and hide in and your tokay will greatly appreciate
    it. Also AP327, did you use metal screen or aluminum screen, or is that common window screen for a house. If it is, be aware that crickets can chew right through non-metal window screen. Just a heads up so crickets arent running all over you house.

20. AP327

AP327 New Member

I was very much aware of everything you pointed out while I was building the cage, thanks for trying to help though! I'd love to have a glass enclosure of about the same size but those are pretty expensive. All together the enclosure cost me less than $15 to make. All I had to buy was the screeen(which is common window screen) and the latch and hinges for the door. The wood was just what we had laying around. I'm always working on adding stuff to the enclosure. Later on this spring when more plants become available I'm going to add a few live plants but until then I'm going to get some fake plants and other stuff like that.

Eventually when I have the cash I'm going to get a glass enclosure.

21. Gauzbo

Gauzbo Member

Get some suction cup plants for the glass, or find another way to attach thick vines hanging down on the wood, mine love being able to stay on the glass and still feel hidden. When your holding a tokay in the pet store and it bites you and won't let go, you really don't have a choice but to buy him :) spend your blood money :)I think I know of this one white paint that protects the wood, i'll talk to the person I think uses it and find out what its called for ya.

22. nuggular

You really shouldnt bring up posts that are like 2-3 months old. This post was over and done with a long time ago.

23. Gauzbo

Gauzbo Member

gah, didn't look at the dates, since they made a tokay gecko forum they added all the posts about tokay geckos in here and it was high up on the list. Sorry.

24. nuggular

no worries. :D